force to sell my last two trucks

86truckpull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well do to money issues i was force to sell my last two idis and bought an 86 chevy k20 i knw its a chevy but i like the old chevys not the new ones and i was consideing swapping in a 7.3 idi or a cummins which do u guys think i should swap in and does anyone knw were i could get a motor an trans and for a good deal it currently has a 350 crate motor bloted to an sm465 trany with an np208 trans has 9 inches of lift and is a flat bed

Last edited:

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
depends on your goals and funds $$$

cheapest would be an IDI

More power potential would be the cummins.

Both can make good MPG and power. I'd turbo and head stud the IDI if you got one;Really

86truckpull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if i go with cummins i only wan a use a 4bt and ik it don't sound like a lot but i only wan a spend 500 for a motor

86truckpull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mm now i remember y i stopped goin on this site guys like diesel brad nvm won't ask for anyones help

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
86truckpull... Please don't run off. I don't think anyone was making fun of you for what you feel you can spend on an engine. I too like the chevy trucks and have had a C30 camper special since 1983. Its a 79 truck and I know every piece of it too. Building up a transplant is going to cost more than you plan on I'm afraid to say.. Now if you left out a zero on the $500.00 listing maybe then that will get you something thats going to run for a long time. I hope you will stay around and enjoy this great site. There is someone online 24-7-365 to answer the call for help. There are some really gifted members here that will offer most anything to get someone back on the road...:sly

86truckpull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
iknw what the stuff cost moneys not the issues I'm just waiting for the right deal the last two ides i bought were both standard and were well under a grand i just wan a wait for the right deal ik there out there but for a bone stock idi i won't go over 500 cause i knw there out there just goth find them

gunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CDT in these trucks is a pretty common swap. Then you end up with a great truck with a great motor. I would go Cummins 12 valve.

But git rid of the ridiculous lift.

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Honestly, if $$$ is that tight you should probably just drive it as is and save the cash. With fuel prices the way they are you aren't saving anything by the swap unless you are pulling continously. But if you are pulling continously then:

git rid of the ridiculous lift.

Just my .02

FYI, Brad's not a bad dude he'll be there to help (or give seemingly rude yet realistic advice) when you need it.

George D.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can find a 6.9 for under 500 just have to wait for it I got a 6.9 bolted to an alison 545 fo $350. when my 7.3 died due to cavitation

86truckpull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
moneys not an issue i have a great job now at the time i hadn't been working

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Unless the truck is cherry or close to it, I would just get a Ford and save the time and money involved with the swap.

If you are asking if it can be done: yes. There are several on here that have done it and they will chime in with their advice.

Thad

86truckpull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its pretty close to cherry is the thing it has zero rust all painted frame and axles just some dents idk i may just sell it and get another idi

DieselCowboy

Reaction score
On waiting for the right deals on motors...
I picked up an 89 7.3 n/a, 2wd ZF5, wiring harness and motor mounts with 111k for $200. That was this passed summer.
A few weeks ago I picked up a running (had it running before I pulled it) 6.9 n/a, radiator, fan shroud, wiring harness, motor mounts (rubbers and crossmember plates), bellhousing, the glow plug/water in fuel light, and a PTO for a T19 for $205.
The deals are there. You just gotta find them. It's not about what is the easiest, it's about what you want. Good luck with your potential swap!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726