for those with a holley electric pump

tractorman86

Reaction score
ok so i've had my truck give some troubles when running a rich mix of waste oil latley.i did the holley blue pump which is ok but i just think i dont think i am getting enough pressure or volume to overcome the 2micron filter i have :frustrate . so i got to looking on holley's sight, low and behold the blue and red pumps use the same rotor and vane kit;Poke .... i wonder if you can put a check valve kit from a blue into a red and get the same results as a blue pump. i have installed both and they seem to be the same from the outside.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
yea i noticed that to, you are not the only one having trouble pushing a thick mix. i have had a holley, carter and airtex let me down. funny part was the airtex solenoid pump outdid the holley:dunno even tried plugged the relief in the holley and ran an external reg.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
What you guys are probably finding out is the Holley Red has just enough "motor" to pump gas or diesel. Now try pumping a heavy or thicker mixture and the motor burns up. So maybe the pumps that can and will pump diesel from a tank thats low down under a semi trailer all the way up to the refer units would work better. I think they are called Carrier pumps. Others will chime in with this info shortly. The next time you see a refer unit going down the road take a look at the units and the fuel tank locations. They really seem to be able to draw or suck from a great distance below the units located about 12 or 13 feet higher on the trailers.

tractorman86

Reaction score
yea, but wheren't they only pushing like 30GPH freeflow. who is already running them? how are they working out?

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
I'm running one in my 87 6.9 and I love it! No matter what kind of load I'm putting on it, it never starves for fuel..

Gary

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've always had trouble with heavy fuel. I have a holley blue, (which is the same a a red with a higher pressure spring) and a higher flow filter. My next move is to run bigger fuel line up to the Filter head, I'm also gonna put a bigger diameter pickup tube in the tank. I think we will see a big change by replacing the 5/16" lines, these engines were designed for economy and reliability, not big HP so the bigger line was not needed.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Speaking of flows, is 140 GPH too much? My buddy just lost the mechanical pump in his '86, it pushes a bit but not enough to keep the engine alive, and he has an electric fuel pump from an older engine build that can run 7psi or 14psi at 140GHP - I know we need the 7psi setting, but what about the flow?

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
yea, but wheren't they only pushing like 30GPH freeflow. who is already running them? how are they working out?

Yes, 30gph, the same as the stock pump. Any more than that doesn't really get used, it just goes back through the return lines.

RLDSL has had his in the longest , at about 2 years. And I haven't heard a bad word from the dozen I've hooked guys up with so far. Discbrks is running 50/50 with no problems yet, but he just got his earlier this month so time will tell. I just like the fact that it's a commercial duty diesel pump, which should make it overkill for our engines. Add in the Holley is only rated for gas and I feel better having the Facet.

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
BTW: I am running 70-90% WMO through mine, with no problems so far. I have about 3500 miles on this new pump.

Gary

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Yes, 30gph, the same as the stock pump. Any more than that doesn't really get used, it just goes back through the return lines.

RLDSL has had his in the longest , at about 2 years. And I haven't heard a bad word from the dozen I've hooked guys up with so far. Discbrks is running 50/50 with no problems yet, but he just got his earlier this month so time will tell. I just like the fact that it's a commercial duty diesel pump, which should make it overkill for our engines. Add in the Holley is only rated for gas and I feel better having the Facet.

Flow is definitely not a problem. when I put my fresh rebuilt engine in, I turned the pump up a little too far, and first run out pulling my 10k pound 5er through the Ozarks, it was all I could do to keep the boost under 10 psi ( hit 12 a few times when I wasn't paying attention and had room to go :angel: . That thing was rolling heavy smoke and pulling like crazy. No worries about having enough fuel flow. I've already turned the injection pump down and I need to turn it down some more. If the stinking temperature outside would cool down I might be able to get something done, but still in the 90's-100's every day :puke: -cuss

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
I've always had trouble with heavy fuel. I have a holley blue, (which is the same a a red with a higher pressure spring) and a higher flow filter. My next move is to run bigger fuel line up to the Filter head, I'm also gonna put a bigger diameter pickup tube in the tank. I think we will see a big change by replacing the 5/16" lines, these engines were designed for economy and reliability, not big HP so the bigger line was not needed.

that's what i tried and it didn't make a difference. it was all after the pump though to the engine. if you do use steel as much as you can it has a lower resistance internally to fluids. i plan on going back through and replacing some of the rubber i used when i get the chance.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
that's what i tried and it didn't make a difference. it was all after the pump though to the engine. if you do use steel as much as you can it has a lower resistance internally to fluids. i plan on going back through and replacing some of the rubber i used when i get the chance.

If you're planning on running veg through the thing, best to pass on the steel line, and run aluminum fuel line. Aside from not growing veg crud, it's a lot easier to run, you can bend it by hand. A 20-25 ft roll of 1/2" aluminum usually runs about $25 or so. You can flare it and use it with aeroquip fittings That size line would make for very little friction in the lines.

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
im running 100% wmo with my carrier pump that genlightning posted about i didnt go through him but but i got one anyway before he got some good pricing
but ive run one tank through it and she runs beautiful i love it thanks gen lightning
tractorman is your 2mic on the truck if so ive had trouble pushing wmo through 2 filters and ended up burning up the pump but id suggest building a set up similar to mine and bigrigtech s if you need any help building up something like that ill be more than happy to help you out in anyway i can just say the word

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you guys have any fuel presure monitoring instrumentation aboard? Now that colder weather is coming, I'm thinking of adding something at the IP. I'm a little perplexed at this issue, as my basic holley red with the factory fuel filter in-line after the pump seems to work just fine. :dunno My biggest problem is hard starts on cold mornings - it fires up, then dies, and it's not air. I think it just runs out of fuel inside the IP. Takes a good bit of cranking to get it going again. That's why I want to monitor the fuel presure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle