for all you diesel techs out there PROBABLY A COUPLE DUMB QUESTIONS

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I didn't say it couldn't be done and I'm glad somebody has done it. Looks like it just about has to be a ground up rebuild around that big I6. I thought the 360/466/530 were all the same size block just different bore and stroke size. Perhaps I'm wrong? That 195 HP is in stock trim I bet it could be a pretty sick motor since it doesn't have the big limitations our IDIs do that is 20.7 or 21.5:1 compression or that cheap rotary fuel injection pump or the wimpy head bolts. Should be able to make at least the power of a 6BT or 4BT with no problem. Not sure if the mods are out there as much since most people used these in work trucks not personal toys.

Papabear

Papabear
Reaction score
With a marine engine you have the biggest radiator in the world, unless global warming heats things up too much.:D
I would love to be able to pump up an IDI to the breaking point in a boat to see what it would stand.
I know when it is cool out mine uses all the fuel I give it and runs like a scalded dog.;Sweet
Till the tires break loose.:thumbsup:
I wore out the rears and the fronts are still 60 percent and I had no idea they were slipping, well not much.:D

i am wanting to use a turboed 6.9 and put a jet nozzle on it

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Marine engines are geared for a constant hard pull all the time. We see some trucker's putting 60 series Detroit marine injectors in their trucks to bump up the HP from 500 to 600. What did you need to know about the 3208? My f-inlaw has been selling parts at the local CAT dealership for 14yrs so I can get lots of info from him.

Papabear

Papabear
Reaction score
i am just trying to find info on different engines so that i can make a well informed decision i am looking in the 300hp + range for my dream truck and one of my masjor questions is does a 3208 shift like the cat engines i know and love or should i be looking at an inline 6 there are just too many options the engine i choose has to be all mechanical (no computer), parts still need to be readily available, i am open too suggestions and lend itself readily to WMO as shortly i will have access to an unlimited supply. and BigRig Tech ask your dad if he knows anything obout an inline 8

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3208 likes to rev, they make a lot of torque for a v8 but just like an idi ,when pumped up they heat. Oh and they are nooooiiisssssy.

Papabear

Papabear
Reaction score
i like NOISEY i would run straight pipes if i could get away with it, what could i dial a turboed 3208 up to without much trouble? what is the power band of the 3208 the revs thing almost sounds like a detroit, the otr cats i drive (C-15 ) i generally keep between 1100rpm - 1500rpm and rarely will go to as much as 1700rpm

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
somebody used to make an inline 8 but i cannot remember who i saw it like 10yrs ago and it was old than and the owner said it was a bulletproof engine and it would just about run on anything but being a stupid kid than i didn't pay enough attention and now i am regretting it. if i remember correctly i could be wrong but it wasn't a true inline as the cylinders where slightly offset (staggered)

detroit made an 8-71 but it was a V8 not an I8

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
I think Mack had a I-8 but I could be wrong. Have you ever seen how big a C-15 is? The Fords have a hard enough time with something small like a I-6 DT466 I'd hate to see how long a I-8 would be unless you wanted to mount it in the bed like a monstertruck.

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
A guy here has a suburban with a 3208 and an MT-653 Allison in it. It runs it's ass off on will do 120mph @ 1200 with the double overdrive.

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
Not sure I seen him a few times @ truck shows. I also tried to catch him and he let me in the dust when I hit the Governor. I know it came out of a GMC Brigadier dump truck and was turbo charged.