for all you diesel techs out there PROBABLY A COUPLE DUMB QUESTIONS

Papabear

Papabear
Reaction score
how hard is it to convert a marine diesel into a highway diesel the reason i am asking is i am looking at the 3208 cat engines and all the marine diesel have almost twice the hp + torque ratings. And also why do the marine diesels always have higher ratings:dunno

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
im sorry but u dont want a 3208 cat i think a dt 466 would be better for peformance otions out there but i dont fnow

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not a 3208? Its much closer to a physical fit than a DT466. Too bad nobody's ever really tried a DT conversion, it seems it would be much more durable and unusual than a Cummins 6BT and also has the replaceable cylinder liners. Yeah I agree with you the 3208 isn't as good, but it is a motor a lot of people loved in the marine apps. and some trucks and offroad equipment, plus some people have actually done it in an F250/350 chassis. Dave Haven's uncle did it and he still had the truck, but I don't know if he ditched his Fords or just doesn't hang out at O/B.

NCheek

Howdy
Reaction score
I want to say that the higher power rating are because of better cooling. You have thousands upon thousands of gallons of cool water to keep all that horsepower from "boiling over"...

Papabear

Papabear
Reaction score
I am very open to driveline including engine suggestions by any and all I want 300hp+ with a high torque rating. MY ONLY ABSOLUTE IS IT HAS TO BE ALL MECHANICAL (no computers) and has to also lend itself readily to WMO. this for my dream truck project

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you could get a reliable 300+ HP out of either a DT466 or a CAT 3208, as far as using WMO or WVO I'm not so sure since they are both direct injected. The older DTs and all the 3208s are mechanical. The kind of truck you want to build could handle the weight no problem, the worry is where are you going to put the radiator to handle the cooling and are you going to have enough room to fit that engine especially an I-6 like a DT.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DT= DT360/466/530 series by International, what the other gentleman suggested you use instead of the 3208

devildog88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think a dt 360 would the simplest its only a little bit bigger the a 5.9 cummins
so it should fit right in.

Papabear

Papabear
Reaction score
somebody used to make an inline 8 but i cannot remember who i saw it like 10yrs ago and it was old than and the owner said it was a bulletproof engine and it would just about run on anything but being a stupid kid than i didn't pay enough attention and now i am regretting it. if i remember correctly i could be wrong but it wasn't a true inline as the cylinders where slightly offset (staggered)

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With a marine engine you have the biggest radiator in the world, unless global warming heats things up too much.:D
I would love to be able to pump up an IDI to the breaking point in a boat to see what it would stand.
I know when it is cool out mine uses all the fuel I give it and runs like a scalded dog.;Sweet
Till the tires break loose.:thumbsup:
I wore out the rears and the fronts are still 60 percent and I had no idea they were slipping, well not much.:D

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online