fluel leaking from around a glow plug

professortf

Reaction score
I have a lot of fuel leaking from around a glow plug on the passenger side. At idle it looks like boiling water around the plug. It will go from clean no fuel to a puddle of about a half a cup in a few minutes. The glow plug is tight. Im afraid to tighten it any more. Can I take it to a machine shop to get the treads fixed and or what are my options? How much stuff am i going to have to remove/ replace to fix this?

thanks for your help

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Its not the glow plug leaking.. Most likely its the plastic return line cap near the top of the injector. If you have never replaced them... Well they wont last forever. The complete kit costs around $30.00 and is easy to install. A shop will probably charge you around 125.00 to 200.00 for doing this work. At the very worst you could have a broken hard injector line. this happens if the vibration clamps are missing on the 8 injector lines. Hope this helps you determine whats going on.... Post back and ask any questions... Lots of help here 24-7....:D

burtcheca

farmer/cabinetmaker
Reaction score
I'm going to shake my prejudices out and say to a professor (most of them liberal commies), from California:puke: (the only state I don't mind to lose to Mexico):

Welcome to the forum!:D

Burt, a Florida *******.

P.S. Wow! That took a lot of guts! I'm done doing good deeds for the whole day!

professortf

Reaction score
I don't think it is injection return lines or the injector lines they are clean and dry. There is a pool of diesel down around the glow plug

CESMITH

1986F250 6.9
Reaction score
glow plug leak

Is it fireing on that cyl. Start the engine and crack the injection line on that cyl. see if it changes sound when that cyl isnt fireing. could be a slobering injector, or a valve issue and or low compresion:dunno

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The fuel could be coming from any number of places and is pooling at that location. If there is compression leaking from the glow plug threads, that is concerning for a crack in the head there.

You've got to find out where the fuel is coming from without question, then you need to find out if compression is truely leaking from that cylinder. Do a compression test on the motor and trace the fuel leak to it's source.

Heath

woodie92250

Reaction score
had same issue....

Its not the glow plug leaking.. Most likely its the plastic return line cap near the top of the injector. If you have never replaced them... Well they wont last forever. The complete kit costs around $30.00 and is easy to install. A shop will probably charge you around 125.00 to 200.00 for doing this work. At the very worst you could have a broken hard injector line. this happens if the vibration clamps are missing on the 8 injector lines. Hope this helps you determine whats going on.... Post back and ask any questions... Lots of help here 24-7....:D

i had the same issue and the same injectors, i found the problem of the leak and it was infact the o-rings which were dry under the return caps, i only had two injectors leaking, but with the kit on the way ($50 local parts store) it would silly not to replace all. the question i have is that my glow plugs were bubbling with fuel puddled around them on those two cylinders, is it worth worrying why as long as the truck runs fine? my main concern was the leak (not a fan of under hood fires!), but now i know that i do have some blow by on glow plugs...... any advise or concerns appreciated thanks
cookoo

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a lot of fuel leaking from around a glow plug on the passenger side. At idle it looks like boiling water around the plug. It will go from clean no fuel to a puddle of about a half a cup in a few minutes. The glow plug is tight. Im afraid to tighten it any more. Can I take it to a machine shop to get the treads fixed and or what are my options? How much stuff am i going to have to remove/ replace to fix this?

thanks for your help

First of all it's impossible to have that much fuel coming out of the glow plug threads, unless the injector on that cyl. is stuck open. Pull the GP out, check the threads and seat of it. Pull the injector and see if it's wet on the nozzle, if it is then more than likely it's stuck open.

Kind of hard to see but the GP threads are 1" long and have a tapered seat on them. It's possible that the GP was loose and carbon has built up on the seat allowing combustion gasses to leak past it. Do the above. Picture is of my GP and controller tester.

As said above the fuel is leaking from someplace else other than the GP.

Attachments

• DVC01447.JPG
    DVC01447.JPG
    272.8 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jorge140

Members online