Flat out gutless

Cheapthrillb2

one ton of fun
Reaction score
Okay bought a powerstroke (see sig)...

When its cold (either start up and drive or start up and let warm for 10 minutes) it is flat out gutless accel. Full throttle-1/4 throttle doesn't matter, but once its driven about 2 miles it "wakes up" and is good to go.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
EBPV-Exhaust Back Pressure Valve is operating normally. it aids in warmup. it can be defeated without negative effects. not sure how on an OBS, but on a SD you just unplug the wire to it.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can unplug it on an OBS just the same as a S/D.... I have mine wired to a toggle, works great for an exhaust brake, and I do deal with pretty cold temps, so, gutting it isn't an option.

Cheapthrillb2

one ton of fun
Reaction score
I don't think the truck is running at optimal temp either or the temp sender is bad. It never reaches the normal mark, stays just outside the "normal dash". Gonna test the sender today at work and see if its a stuck open t-stat or premature t-stat or a bad sender. Not that its related but just something else.

Cheapthrillb2

one ton of fun
Reaction score
Where is the sensor located? On the chart it shows it next to the glow plug relay but the chart shows it in a different place, i can't seem to find it?

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
EBPV solenoid plug is on the drivers (left) side of turbo under the intake hose.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
It's probably stuck closed if it's gutless, pretty common around here in the salt belt. We just un-plug the sensor and beat the flapper into the open position - if it's seized it will stay there.

Cheapthrillb2

one ton of fun
Reaction score
I'll have to look harder, I still don't see it. I seem to be getting a bit of blue smoke from the exhaust until the vavle opens and the trucks actually starts accelerating decent then it clears out and no smoke.

Cheapthrillb2

one ton of fun
Reaction score
Didn't notice much of a difference, other then maybe my fuel mileage took a dump with it unplugged.

Does anybody offer a larger downpipe only? one that connects to the flange at the convertor to replace the cobra head.

***Nevermind, found just the downpipe for sale.

Last edited:

aaklingler

Reaction score
The sensor isn't in that pic, its front farther by the hpop reservoir. Make sure you have the ebpv open, reach under the exhaust outlet of the turbo and see if you can turn the shaft, open I believe is when its turned counter clock wise.

Cheapthrillb2

one ton of fun
Reaction score
I have been plugging it it at night and haven't had the issue. Next time I am under the hood I will screw with it. It needs a new belt and t-stat anyways.

Cheapthrillb2

one ton of fun
Reaction score
One other stupid a$$ question, I just went through the last 6 pages and didn't find it as well as searched for it and couldn't find it, what does OBS stand for?