Ran out of fuel

slyhog022056

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This last weekend my 91 F250, 7.3 ran out of fuel while parked on side to side incline, Showed 1/4 tank, but I assumed it uncovered the pickup line. Put in 5 gallons and got it started after filling filter and a little ether. Started and let it idle for about 15 minutes. While running it began loping like a cammed gas motor. I let it idle another 15 minutes to be sure everything was primed. Got in a tried to run it above idle, died after less than 30 seconds and now wont start again. Fuel pump is only a year old. if I go thru the same procedure again, same thing. hpop has been cleaned and refilled recently. What to look for? How can I check fuel pressure on this system.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
big difference between a 91 IDI and a PSD in regards to priming the fuel system

PSD in a SD has an electric fuel pump which will prime itself

PSD in a OBS has a mechanical fuel pump which will take a lot of cranking to prime

An IDI has a fuel injector pump, which in order to prime you need to loosen each line at the injectors and bleed the air manually while cranking.

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is your filter bowl full? It sounds like it’s not getting fuel from the tank. It may have a clogged line. If your pick up in tank has fallen apart. When you get that low on fuel it picks up the junk in the bottom of the tank. You can also check your fuel pressure at the schrader valve on the upper driver side of fuel bowl with a tire gauge. Wrap a rag around it so you don’t get sprayed with fuel. Do this while cranking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online

No members online now.