Finished

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I wanted to post a video but I was alone so I'll post some pics and the video if possible. I need to get the power steering to work right and the front bumper ON and I'm waiting for the air filter pipes but everything else is ON. The banks IC fits perfect I didn't even had to cut the grill.

I'm happy the getrag will shift through all the gears after I rebuild it, it was My first one and seems to have worked out well. What I like most is that I can rebuild it Myself instead of a shop charging Me premium for it.

Engine sounds well as before I have to figure something with the PS pump on the cummins it was perfect before the swap and now I can't get it to move the fluid so something could be wrong there. Btw is there a problem if I put Lucas PS fluid on a dry pump and then some of the regular ps fluid?

Tach reads but I think it is off, I couldn't tell since I didn't drive it out of the driveway just tested it where it was since I didn't want to move it around with out power steering assist.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ez-
the pump might be airlocked.
I've seen it before and I've jacked up the front end and turned the wheel from lock to lock to move the fluid through to clear out the air. It worked for me every time.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
ez-
the pump might be airlocked.
I've seen it before and I've jacked up the front end and turned the wheel from lock to lock to move the fluid through to clear out the air. It worked for me every time.

That is what I did but it doesn't seem to move any fluid I will try again tomorrow.

suv7734

Reaction score
That is what I did but it doesn't seem to move any fluid I will try again tomorrow.

Congrats :thumbsup:
What's with the tomorrow? Grab a flashlight and let's get to it :D
Might be a silly question but is the PS pump rotating in the same direction as it was on the previous engine? Don't ask me about a particular Cod boat that had an engine swap done and needed all the hydraulic pumps changed over to opposite rotation by 06:00 the next morning :eek:

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Congrats :thumbsup:
What's with the tomorrow? Grab a flashlight and let's get to it :D
Might be a silly question but is the PS pump rotating in the same direction as it was on the previous engine? Don't ask me about a particular Cod boat that had an engine swap done and needed all the hydraulic pumps changed over to opposite rotation by 06:00 the next morning :eek:

There are rules on this house :rolleyes: and I can only dedicate so much time to My truck if You know what I mean.

The ps pump belongs to the cummins and it has only one pressure side so it should work as it is. I'll try to get something figured with this today.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Here are some pics of the engine bay and some of the tranny rebuild when I was almost done with the shifter cover. I'll get the video when I get this ps pump right. The same gear drives the vacuum pump so I don't get why would it not drive the ps pump :confused:.

Attachments

• IMG_0001~1.JPG
    IMG_0001~1.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0002~1.JPG
    IMG_0002~1.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0003~1.JPG
    IMG_0003~1.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0005~1.JPG
    IMG_0005~1.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0008~1.JPG
    IMG_0008~1.JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0009~1.JPG
    IMG_0009~1.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0010~1.JPG
    IMG_0010~1.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0013~1.JPG
    IMG_0013~1.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0014~1.JPG
    IMG_0014~1.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 16

ncovey

Diesel Poor
Reaction score
You are finished and ready to drive? You suck! (J/K). I wish mine was drivable. I am trying to stay patient and finish mine right the first time, I know I will be happier with the results.-Nicholas

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
nice, congrates on the swap! lets see some video.

dumb question but is there enough power steering fluid? you will probably have to top it off a time or two afterward as it pulls through. other wise i just do like mentioned moving lock to lock with the front wheels in the air. lucas will mix fine, i used to work in a parts store and saw people do it on a regular basis.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
It is sad to say but I guess the pump is bad or the routing of the hoses I choose is not right. The pump has 1 bottle of lucas and 1/2 bottle of power steering fluid in it. I have bleed several pumps before but never a dodge one yet I think they are the same. The pump worked fine before which leads Me to think I may have routed it wrong but I loosened the high pressure hose and started the engine then (with the wheels on the air) move turn the steering from side to side many many many times and the fluid is all the same it won't go anywhere I'm very confused and don't want to replace this pump or rebuild it bc it was perfectly good before and I did nothing to it since then. After all this swap I get stuck with something as stupid as this :frustrate

ncovey

Diesel Poor
Reaction score
Just an idea, but you are using the Dodge steering pump, and the Ford gearbox correct? If you made a hose or somehow adapted it, is it possible that is plugged somehow? Maybe something like how a brake line separates on the inside?-Nicholas

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
After all this swap I get stuck with something as stupid as this :frustrate

thats actaully typical for me. sounds odd it wont work, i know i would have to tear it apart and see what was going on but have never done so to a dodge box.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Hey Ez, you got the PS lines plumbed right for the hydro boost unit?

Just a thought.:dunno

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance