What is the part I’m missing? Ignition trim?

94turbocrewcab-lb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I’d like to get that chrome finger/thumb thing so I can stop torquing on the key. What’s the part im missing?

Attachments

• IMG_2072.jpeg
    IMG_2072.jpeg
    225.4 KB · Views: 11

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
If I remember right it's part of the lock cylinder. It's also very common to break so....

Sparks-IDI

Reaction score
I have had to replace my ignition assembly also. I bought mine from Rock Auto for like $10 with the chrome outer piece. Find yourself an old school experienced locksmith and he should be able to reset your ignition tumbler to match your existing key. That way you don't have to mess with your door locks. In my case, I had no original key so I had to match the door locks to the new key which came with the new ignition switch. My locksmith said he could go either way with the re-keying.

Not sure if originally Ford had separate keys... doors vs ignition, but now I have one key for both. Which is a bit more convenient. My truck is a '94.

Last edited:

gandalf

Reaction score
I’ll need to rekey the doors?
Rekeying the doors is a definite maybe. I think that depends on the year. Both my '86 and my '92 have separate keys for the doors and the ignition. If I were to have to replace the ignition in either I would not have to rekey the doors. That is to say, each truck requires 2 keys.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
92 up uses the same key for the door and ignition. There are if I remember correctly 12 contact points on the key, 6 for the door and 6 for the ignition.

If you take the new ignition switch and a door lock to a locksmith they will cut a key to match both.

On the 80-91 trucks they use 2 completely different style keys from the factory so on them there is no need to change anything other than the ignition cylinder.

James

ihc1470

Reaction score

rreegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kinda like having factory separate keys for door/starter. always carry around the “valet” spare for my vw anyway, to leave it idle and locked

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bossviking