Few Pics-Couple questions...?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Anybody repalcing the injection pump should buy the kit that has the bolts and o-rings in it. that way the bolts wont be rounded off and damaged. That fuel return line square o-ring is located at the back of the hard line near the rear of the motor on the drivers side. Its hard to get at so remove it from the intake manifold and replace the o-ring. Many owners don't know there is a seal there that can and will leak air into the fuel system....

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody repalcing the injection pump should buy the kit that has the bolts and o-rings in it. that way the bolts wont be rounded off and damaged. That fuel return line square o-ring is located at the back of the hard line near the rear of the motor on the drivers side. Its hard to get at so remove it from the intake manifold and replace the o-ring. Many owners don't know there is a seal there that can and will leak air into the fuel system....

The "bolts" for what...the (3) mounting IP Bolts?
The only square o-rings "olive" mentioned from others was the hard line coming off the filter head and into the back of the IP.
I didn't know there was another "hard return line" along the back of the engine. And you say it's bolted the the intake manifold and then goes where...and is there yet another "olive" o-ring at that end also?
Thanks

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Look to the right of the injection pump. See the line that the return off the top of the pump goes into. That hard line at the back of the intake manifold has an olive in it also. Yes, those 3 bolts that hold the pump to the drive gear. They are the 5/16th 12 point heads. Replace them because "things" do wear out and thats something you don't want breaking on you.

cleithau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can get the olive square O-rings from any Ford dealership, it's only 4 dollars for 2 of them. They will be 5/16 or 3/8. Mine were 5/16, on my 1985. Get a piece of steel line and a flare tool. As soon as I pulled the line of to replace the seals I saw a bit of rust in the line, any rust will go right into the IP. So I bent and flared a new line. make sure to clean the line up real good since any metal shaving won't have a filter and will go right into the IP. Even if your line is clean you will need to replace the seals on both ends. Otherwise moving the steel line to replace the one seal can damage the other, and nice to be able to see into the line.

Here's the Ford part#

5/16 olive: E3TZ-9K260-A
3/8 olive: E3TZ-9C387-A

Before you condem your IP replace all the olive seals first. When mine leaked fuel will run down the bottom side of the fuel line all the way to right before the IP and drain into that pan below the IP, filling it with fuel. Replaced the olives, no more fuel. At $10 for a few olive o-rings its a lot cheaper and easier than an IP.

Last edited:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
You can get the olive square O-rings from any Ford dealership,

Errr, not quite any ford dealership. Trying to get those, or just about any other parts for these engines from the dealer in this town , even when armed with dealer part numbers gets either dumb looks or a response of, "we caint git purts fur tham thangs" ( you should see their TV commercials on the local access station :rotflmao
I either have to go to the city and get them from the International dealer or order online, along with all the parts for this thing. The only part I've been able to actually purchase from the ford dealer was a power steering pump to line seal.

------Robert

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can get the olive square O-rings from any Ford dealership, it's only 4 dollars for 2 of them. They will be 5/16 or 3/8. Mine were 5/16, on my 1985. Get a piece of steel line and a flare tool. As soon as I pulled the line of to replace the seals I saw a bit of rust in the line, any rust will go right into the IP. So I bent and flared a new line. make sure to clean the line up real good since any metal shaving won't have a filter and will go right into the IP. Even if your line is clean you will need to replace the seals on both ends. Otherwise moving the steel line to replace the one seal can damage the other, and nice to be able to see into the line.

Here's the Ford part#

5/16 olive: E3TZ-9K260-A
3/8 olive: E3TZ-9C387-A

Before you condem your IP replace all the olive seals first. When mine leaked fuel will run down the bottom side of the fuel line all the way to right before the IP and drain into that pan below the IP, filling it with fuel. Replaced the olives, no more fuel. At $10 for a few olive o-rings its a lot cheaper and easier than an IP.
Thanks for the suggestion and part numbers ;Sweet but it looks like I may have a extremely small weep inside the IP that's filling that well at the very front underside of the IP in pic 2...I'll double check it again though.
My local Ford parts guy is pretty good...they don't stock much if any of the old Diesel stuff but it's usually in next day.

cleithau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They didn't stock them here either, but they got there the next day. I hope for your and your trucks sake its just the olive o-rings.

I guess I should have stated you can get the o-rings at any competant Ford dealership.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look to the right of the injection pump. See the line that the return off the top of the pump goes into. That hard line at the back of the intake manifold has an olive in it also....
Triple checked that line...bone dry ;Sweet
I think it may have been the extrem cold and what looked like a little damp area at the fitting that exits the filter head...and now it's dry.
I'll replace all those Olive o-ring locations anyway.