fan clutch

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
You guys that are "pinning" the clutch what exactly are you doing??

I just drilled a 3/8" hole in the meaty portion of the clutch, spun the fan til one of the internal clutch disk/puck was covering my new hole, then drilled a 5/16" hole in the puck. Then I filled it with a wire-feed weld from both sides. Maybe took a half hour.

I've never had a 6.9l get very warm, but 7.3l's seem to like it Hot! Today it was 16 degrees where I went hiking, and on the drive up there even with my locked fan, new radiator, newer water pump my truck was reading 202 the whole way.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
202 would be cool day for my 6.9, it runs warmer than my 7.3 did and the 7.3 never ran under 205...It always stays around 205-210 but I've seen it go higher on a hard pull towing or loaded....I'm going to wait and see how it acts with the plow blocking the grill on snow days and go from there. Hopefully the 6.9 will come out in the spring in favor of a 7.3T I have on the way.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
besides loosing power (and up to an estimated 25% i might add)and fuel economy (up to an estimated 1.5 MPG i might add again.;) )?

likely over cooling their engines lol.:rotflmao
diesels like to run warm.the t-stat is just fully opened at 212F.

I dunno about he fuel economy man, that 20 mpg interstate I got so spoiled rotten by for so long was with the fan locked. Of course now that I have no wind deflector plate no more and I run cool as hell things are indeed crappy in that department, but sliding a piece of cardboard in front of the rad is way easier than dealing with overheating due to a bad clutch...

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wow.a lot of you guys seem to be running under the t-stats fully open temp.
why the heck would the stock fan engage so soon?
that's not good for economy.
i don't have a working fan clutch.never have.
my engine runs around 215-220.
im not even going to have the e-fan turn on until she hits 230.so should just mainly be for hauling heavy up hills, and when snow plowing-plowing mostly.that's what made me get right on this.:D
i have to go 20mph with the plow on,or she'll climb up to 230-235.i have to just pull over and wait.not fun.i can go 30-35 all easy if the roads are plowed though iv noticed.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dude, my truck would overheat while just idling in the driveway on a 15F day! Granted that was with the old radiator and water pump, and I have since replaced both (new Gates pump, good-condition factory E350 rad), but there is no way I would ever attempt to run the truck without a fan... Like I said, sliding cardboard in front of the rad is easy as pie. By the way I have no issues with warming up, maybe she does run on the cold side once the thermostat opens but she does start blowing heat out the vents within minutes of firing up and in less than 10 minutes of simply idling on her own the thermostat is already open (as evidenced by the upper rad hose).

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
Dude, my truck would overheat while just idling in the driveway on a 15F day! Granted that was with the old radiator and water pump, and I have since replaced both

X2. Before I locked mine, it was daily that I had a near-overheat/meltdown while sitting in Portland traffic. Nothing like being stuck in the middle lane of the interstate with my truck running 230+ degrees at idle, and having the heater on high, wondering if me and the truck are gonna melt together. I locked the fan and never looked back.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing like being stuck in the middle lane of the interstate with my truck running 230+ degrees at idle, and having the heater on high, wondering if me and the truck are gonna melt together.
Chicago is what nearly killed my truck, even Friday afternoon rush hour downtown NYC was better than that nightmare. And to think people actually like living and working there... cookoo

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to work to get my 6.9 over 190, mechanical aftermarket gauge in the factory port, front of the driver side head.

I also don't get HEAT out of the heater til its over 190, idling in traffic, running 70 0n the freeway get me up to 200-205. I have a dual speed Taurus (3.8 v6 1995 or so model car) e-fan. Currently only have the low speed wired to a toggle, and as I noted, until I see 205 + I don't flip it on. In the last month of daily bombing around town, idling whatever, it hasn't been touched.

What is the highest temp t-stat available for a 6.9? Have a feeling mine mihgt be MIA as it takes forever to warm, and a few times on 60 degree days, idling has caused it to warm to 210.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im not even going to have the e-fan turn on until she hits 230.so should just mainly be for hauling heavy up hills, and when snow plowing-plowing mostly.that's what made me get right on this.:D

Let us know how the electric fans work out for you when the lights are on, the defrost is on high, the radiator fans are on, and you try to lift the plow up. If you are like me you have to try it at least once no matter what everyone else says, I did already.

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
those were my intentions....my truck never has had a problem with running too cool.

the 7.3's are prone to running hot. mine stays at 190 with the fan running all the time even when its 10º outside

thats with a new radiator...t-stat (fordOEM) and a new water pump 124k on the engine and not loaded

Hmmm, I use mine primairly for daily driving, and if the bottom cold bar is at 10:00, then I'd say my needle has only gotten above 11:00 once, and that was because my serp belt came off (bad idler pully).