fan clutch

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think Frankin2 had a pretty slick setup in his truck for just that purpose, and he has posted pics or drawings of it om here in the past, heck if I can find them now tho.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here it is. I am still happy with it. The only thing I have been having to do lately is put a piece of thin wood in front of half the radiator to get a little more heat from the engine. I see you have a zf, and it seems to work well since the engine loafs along and the engine is turning slow. I don't know if I would like it as much if I still had the c6 tranny turning a lot of revs going down the highway.

You must be registered for see images attach

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Here it is. I am still happy with it. The only thing I have been having to do lately is put a piece of thin wood in front of half the radiator to get a little more heat from the engine. I see you have a zf, and it seems to work well since the engine loafs along and the engine is turning slow. I don't know if I would like it as much if I still had the c6 tranny turning a lot of revs going down the highway.

I know it might be a little hard to get at, but is this removable for winter time?

It would be good for anyone who tows a lot in a warmer climate!

Did you find it sucked a little out of you MPG or was it not really noticeable? Good job though!

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Just make sure you use locktite on the threads if you use this method, or the fan will unscrew when you shut the engine off.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That would be my concern as well, looks pretty darn sweet but it's a risky setup if there is no loctite involved (and I'd use the red compound, not the weaker blue one).

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
yep its got loctite on it. been on for 5000 miles or so with no ill effects so far. i have no idea if it effected my fuel mileage cause my ip is on its way out...

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
If you snap the spring off the front of the clutch it should lock up...This is all we do with the MaxxForce DT466's at work, if they run cool again we order a new fan clutch.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You guys that are "pinning" the clutch what exactly are you doing??

besides loosing power (and up to an estimated 25% i might add)and fuel economy (up to an estimated 1.5 MPG i might add again.;) )?

likely over cooling their engines lol.:rotflmao
diesels like to run warm.the t-stat is just fully opened at 212F.

two threads for you guys:
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=23946
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17484

WAY cheaper long term than what your doing.;)

however,remember this is outright crazy for those of us driving 15k miles per year.
but for a guy with broken fan clutch,and perhaps just drives enough to maybe do an oil change or two per year,well this isn't so drastic.
so really it all depends.

iv got my dual windstar fan assembly.just waiting on the controller.:)

Last edited:

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
those were my intentions....my truck never has had a problem with running too cool.

the 7.3's are prone to running hot. mine stays at 190 with the fan running all the time even when its 10º outside

thats with a new radiator...t-stat (fordOEM) and a new water pump 124k on the engine and not loaded