fan clutch

Guntherx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the best way to test a fan clutch? I replaced mine with a used one that I got off of here. It has resistance, but I do not here it kick in like the old one. Yesterday while towing, I saw the factory temp gauge go up close to the space, but the autometer mounted in the top of the water pump showed around 220. Of course as loud as my truck is I might not be able to here it, but I should see the water temp drop when it does kick in.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clutch-fans are A/C killers; direct-drive fans are best.;Sweet

Think about it, when you need power and torque the most, do you want your fan sucking cooling air through the radiator, or merely coasting along, doing nothing but take up space.

I got tired of having HOT air-conditioning, when easing around in traffic where A/C is most appreciated; so, when a fan-clutch is questionable, I PIN it, making it direct-drive.

Once the fan is PINNED, the A/C will blow ice cold at idle, and no more watching the temperature gauge climb, while wondering if the clutch is ever going to kick in.

I have not experienced any decrease in engine power, nor loss of mileage, from a direct-drive fan. :thumbsup:

dwaymar

dwaymar
Reaction score
i have also pinned mine due to the heat here in AZ i haven't noticed any mpg drop but have notice lower temps and cooler ac

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MS Tech told me they could modify my old clutch for around $60. All the do is find a factory clutch and "modify" it. I was thinking about doing it, but After I put in the real coolant temp gauge, I didnt think it was nessesary. I can run 215-220 all day loaded or empty so I know the cooling system is doing its job even though I never hear the fan engauge.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
I find it very hard to belive that you did not see your milage drop after pinning the fan clutch.

You'd be better served putting in the the VRV in the AC system. It'll improve the AC output at lower speeds/idling.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
I find it very hard to belive that you did not see your milage drop after pinning the fan clutch.

You'd be better served putting in the the VRV in the AC system. It'll improve the AC output at lower speeds/idling.
What is VRV? Inquiring minds need to know.:dunno
Guntherx said:
So how do you "pin" the clutch?????????
& how do you pin the clutch....not that I want to, just like to know how....

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
What is VRV? Inquiring minds need to know.:dunno

I believe he's talking about a variable orifice valve info here

You can get them at advance under the factory Air brand, part # 38904 for extreme climate. there's another part number for normal climates. I always install the extreme climate ones here in Arkansas.
I've got one here I'm about to put in my truck. I've installed them in a bunch of vehicles, if in a hot climate, they make a world of difference in cooling at low speed, in cool climates, I've heard most people report not much difference, the things rely on the high head pressures developed in hot low speed driving to really show their stuff.
Next best AC mod is get a small electric pusher fan and mount it in front of the condensor and rig it to come on with the AC with a relay.

--------Robert

jauguston

Retired
Reaction score
One thing that has not been mentioned. If you pin the clutch you are going to have to listen to that noisy fan roar all the time.

Jim

creighta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think a questionble fan clutch would just be a good excuse to go E-fan.

Not too expensive a mod, and pretty easy too

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726