Fan and fan clutch....???

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont know if i would lock up the fan clutch, just yesterday my fan and clutch assembly flew off my water pump and took out my radiator. The only reason i can figure this could happen is that they were locked when i turned off the motor and the inertia kept it all spinning and spun it right off the threads.

I'm actually thinking of locking my fan, I get fairly unadequate cooling when idling in traffic in high humidity - however I'll lock the fan to the water pump, and not the clutch shaft. Matter of fact, if I don't forget I'm gonna cut the plates for that tomorrow - what size are the 4 bolts that hold the water pump pulley on, and the 6 bolts that hold the fan blade on?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I'm actually thinking of locking my fan, I get fairly unadequate cooling when idling in traffic in high humidity - however I'll lock the fan to the water pump, and not the clutch shaft. Matter of fact, if I don't forget I'm gonna cut the plates for that tomorrow - what size are the 4 bolts that hold the water pump pulley on, and the 6 bolts that hold the fan blade on?

by design fan clutches don't kick in till the engine is getting pretty hot, and in traffic, there is no static air flow across the things so it can take a bit longer before they kick on.

If you are spending a lot of time in traffic and especially if you want your ac to work worth a flip, get a n electric pusher fan rig it for automatic to come on at a preset temp( get a good adjustable tempprobe for it, avoid those cheap Hayden units, tthey don't last ) and also rig it to come on with your ac compressor It will greatly improve the performance of your ac around town and aside from the extra cooling it provides at low speed, the act of it blowing across the rad gets the heat blowing onto the coil on the fan clutch and can help trigger that turkey to cycle more often.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well see, I don't think I have the space for a pusher fan - I got two tranny coolers up there (inline), not much space left between those and the vertical radiator support bar...

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your situation would make you a good candidate for an electric fan conversion.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Well see, I don't think I have the space for a pusher fan - I got two tranny coolers up there (inline), not much space left between those and the vertical radiator support bar...

THe pusher doesn't have to be dead center. Just run the edge of it up to the edge of the support and you'll get plenty of hot air blowing across that fan clutch.
Just get the biggest fan you can fit to one side. It'll do the trick. Around heree if you don't have an e fan pushing, you don't have AC in traffic.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jon, e-fan or mechanical? For the electric things the first that comes to mind is the Lincoln Mark VIII monstrosity, it pulls like 4800cfm on the high setting, dunno how that compares to the stock mechanical fan, but after what was mentioned in this thread I'm now toying with the idea of running two of these on my F350...

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
Jon, e-fan or mechanical? For the electric things the first that comes to mind is the Lincoln Mark VIII monstrosity, it pulls like 4800cfm on the high setting, dunno how that compares to the stock mechanical fan, but after what was mentioned in this thread I'm now toying with the idea of running two of these on my F350...

mechanical, i'll put the mechanical and if i have any issues i'll see what electric i can fit up front.

thanks,
-Jon

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've just about completed the installation of twin 3.8L Taurus fans. You won't believe how great they fit. My write up will be forthcoming.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Taurus fans are 16". I think the main difference is the webbing of the blades at the outer ends. The Mark VIII are wider at the tips. They also draw more current, which either means they have the same motor and are harder to spin (probably with a reduction in RPM), or they have a bigger motor, in which case if the fan is any deeper (Taurus fan is 5") fitment will be more of an issue.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
no one makes an aftermarket mechanical fan blade for a 6.9? how about one off an ambulance, there's like 5 6.9/7.3 late 80's ambulances at the local pull a part..?:dunno

thanks,
-Jon

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7