Factory Turbo Clarification Please

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
Need help clarifying a few questions about "factory" turbos. These are the facts as I interprete them. Please feel free to correct anything that is incorrect.

1. I know the turbo option "kit" was supplied by ATS, but said Ford on the aircleaner lid.

2. In 1992 and '93 the turbo option was dealer installed on the unmodified factory NA engine.

3. In 1994 the turbo option was installed at the factroy on engines with different pistons (specifics unknown), different connecting rods (piston journal larger), different exhaust valves (different material), and different IP (two fuel adjustments).

4. What year(s) had the "Turbo Diesel" emblems?

Please feel free to elaborate on this or correct where necessary because I am compiling a history.:hail

Tom

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To the best of my knowledge, all IDI turbo's were factory built. I've not heard of the dealer installing any. If you can get your hands on a 93 (or was it 94) technician update, it would confirm this.

Required reading HERE

pafixitman

Reaction score
Outside of the obvious, cdr relocate, gp relocate etc....

Per the book...

Modifications referred to include:
Cylinder head gasket - heavier ring and armor wrap
Larger wrist pin bore on the connecting rod
Larger wrist pin
Anodized piston head
Keystone design top and intermediate rings
30 fin/inch oil cooler bundle vs. 24 on a NA
Turbo specific flywheel
Turbo specific vibration damper
Turbo IP
Turbo injectors
Modified return line routing

Slotted front bumper
Air dam below rad
Turbo specific E4OD dipstick
Engine cooling fan clutch
Micro processor for E4OD
Low restriction exhaust
Tom, I can copy and fax / mail the pages from the book...next week...leaving for a wedding in Chatty right now.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
as far as I know they were all factory installed mines a 93 and it makes a difference which flywheel you get with a new clutch kit so I would say its factory installed and the turbo emblems were on the 93 & 94s including the 94 powerstrokes

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
There very well may have been dealers installing turbo kits before the trucks hit the lots. Just like you see tricked out rides at dealers now.

That was the impression I was under for the original (pre-'94) turbo models. I thought they just slapped a turbo kit on at the dealer and the actual engine upgrades came in '94. Evidently that is incorrect.

Tom

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
From my understanding if the truck came from the factory with a Turbo the intake box had FORD on it.Only the Factory Turbo models had this.ALL the aftermarket ATS(factory style) had ATS on the lid.Also,to my understanding if the truck came from the factory with a turbo installed it had a full blown turbo engine.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The first factory turbo idi came in the last half of 1993. It was called the 93 1/2 year model here and many other places.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online