factory turbo balance different than non tb?

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 94 turbo engine that spun a rod bearing and broke a piston. The crank is badly worn. I was looking to replace the crank and ran across info that said the balance of a turbo engine is different than a non turbo because the rods and rist pins are heavier. this engine is going into a motor home with a allison 545 trans. will this cause me problems. International didn't turbo its idi engine from what I have seen. ford shows a turbo balancer and a turbo flywheel. I havent got the ring gear or trans adaptor yet for the engine. so I don't know if I will need a ford ring gear or international to fit the starter location. ? Anybody know if I am headed for problems

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are using an SAE bell, which with an AT545, you most likely are, you are going to need the SAE Adapter, probably a #2, flywheel, and starter to suit.
Unless GVW is heavy enough to require the Allison, or configuration is specific, I'd think about going to something that has at least a lockup torque converter, and maybe even overdrive. It's going to suck up a ton of power.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
All 6.9, 7.3 & 7.3 turbo cranks are the same item. Just the turbo crank is drilled for balance differantly. any crank can be drilled to balance like a turbo crank. Same will the dampner and rods and pistons. Now the flexplate will be differnt for the allison trans. Ford offered two differant flexplate combos for the C6 and E4OD trans. One was a heavy cast iron wheel with a thin stamped steel torque converter plate. The other was a flexplate with a welded starter gear on it. That plate needed a special crank spacer. Without that spacer the flexplate wont fit the crank. Nobody has the spacer or any parts for the heavy cast iron wheel flexplate setup any longer. I bought the last one Ford has in inventory... then didn't need it....:dunno

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will be useing a sae #3 bell for this combo, they used alot of 7.3 in school bus applications. I had one lined up but the guy sold it. what are your thoughts about turbo rods verses standard rods. I build 550 hp sprint car engines, this is my firt Diesel. the turbo rods are so big and heavy compared to the rods in my sprint car engine. I want to take some weight off the rods but before I start I want to research my options.