F 350 1994 7.3 turbo one year wonder ?'s

Moretorque

Dunce
Reaction score
I am looking at buying a work truck and have learned the new ones are to involved for me. I do not want any of the fly by wire stuff I think? or something that cost alot to repair so I am looking at a 1994 turbo 7.3 IDI.

I like the newly designed cabs on the newer trucks but all the complicated stuff they can keep. I know these generations were supposed to have OD drive issues and the cabs rattled and were a little noisy but I here these older 7.3's run forever?

I can get a 1994 222000 mile IDI turbo dually F 350 for 2800 and it looks to be on good shape. Any input would be great on these rigs.

Thanks for helping.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well for starters Welcome to Oilburners.

Glad you joined, you will find us a pretty laid back group with a bit of jest and zest now and then.

Take a look in FAQ and TECH there is lots of info there for you and do check out HALL of Shame, for those nasty vendors.

We have parts supply here IP and turbo parts and so on.

How about a bit more info on the truck? auto std? what options we cannot say much but I can say that the mileage is just about broken in.

These run great but there are a few things to watch out for SCA in coolant and proper maintenance.

Check out the door tag for where it says axle code and we can decipher that for you as well.

Is this a one owner rig? IP look new is it painted? how about injectors are they painted or plain steel? This would indicate original IP and injectors.

How about oil in turbo can you remove the air cleaner lid see what filter looks like? How about starting it COLD first start see what it starts like?

Again more info from you will help us help you more and as said welcome to OB

Al

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the best idi forum on the net. We can help. Yes, these engines are simple to maintain but anything wears out. If you buy this truck please don't rush out and buy the cheapest injecters or injection pump for it. They are generally felt to be junk and not much more. We know where to find the right parts at the right price too. At 220,000 miles the engine is well used but may have some 100,000 plus miles left in it. Even if it doesn't the engine is an easy rebuild with good parts that are easy on the wallet too. Usually the auto trans is not a problem on that year rig. Its called an E4OD and has 3 forward gear and an internal overdrive that you can keep in or out of operation. Many will instal a Gear Vendors behind them if the truck has 4.10 gear to increase highway mpg. I have on in my rig with 3.55 gear. In double overdrive I'm turning 1850 rpm at 85 mph.. You will want to check the coolant for SCA additive. If its not been added its not a walk awy from deal but its something to think about too. We recommend to run quality coolant and use only distilled water. If tap water or well water us used the minerals drop out and plug up the tubes causing a new radiater. Figure thats going to cost about $400.00 and up to replace. Or the easy way around that is an aluminum radiater at $200.00. They do work much better than what Ford gave us to. Distilled water is non conductive and the minerals in it don't drop out. This is just some of the ideas owning an idi. your rig you are looking at id the nicer turbo idi engine. It has some better internal parts to it but all idi engines can handle a turbo without issues. Many of the internal parts swap from the 6.9 to the 7.3 engines too.

Moretorque

Dunce
Reaction score
I have only looked at the pictures, he says he will take 2500 and claims it is in good shape and needs nothing. The economy here is terrible, they were asking 4500 3 weeks ago but said bring the lower amount and I can take it.

It is a extenda cab F 350 automatic with a 5th wheel and is either a XL or XLT. He claims everything works. How much more problematic are the newer Power Strokes. Just wondering because I looked at a E 350 box enclosed truck that was nice with only 147000 on it but all the electronics were fried and Ford wanted over 2000 to fix the electrics on the 1998 PS motor. I really liked the truck and he wanted 2500 for it as well.

I am looking IDI because the owner of the 1998 PS said for him the newer trucks were crap and he did not like all the electronics leave you stranded crap. He said the truck was fly by wire and I do not think I like that. I know a power stoke makes better power but how much better is the fuel mileage and other things. For the average Joe a IDI is better>

By the way for 2500 if this 1994 350 is in good shape that is a deal isn't it?, thanks for the info and replies.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the rear dually pickup axle i recently payed 750 for one.the engines sell for around 500,the e40d all working a good 800,the turbo kit alone an easy 600.so there's the 2500 + some.the other parts and it all assembled and running has to be worth a few bucks too.:D

so if she falls apart any time soon,you could likely part her out and scrap the rest and get your $ back if not make a buck.it's most likely a good deal.that said,don't forget what it is.an outdated diesel with very low power (compared to modern diesels) that you must keep in constant tune yourself as there are no electronics to self tune for you (a plus to most of us,but the tools don't come cheap,nor the medium ware parts.a tune up cost more than a used engine lmao!) and she's a 20 year old 2wd truck that could require far more than you payed in future repairs inside a year or two.so don't get too excited lol.know what your getting into and be prepared to wrench,as is the case with any old vehicle.

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Powerstrokes and any diesel from 94 and up are fluy by wire engines. They don't even have any linkage connecting the throtle peddle to the injection system on the pad trucks. Its a reostat electrical item and when it wears out your stuck right there. They have a cam position sencer and when it fails your dead right there too. The glow plugs require 110 volts to heat up. That takes special care to work on plus... they are hidden under the valve covers as is the injecters. BTW an injecter change out will run you as much as $5000,00 parts and labor. Thats 2 idi turbo trucks right there for a set of injecters... Kind of scares me away from them. Now if your really good with electronics and can work on the new trucks they can be easy to fix... If the parts are on board. I carry a few parts behind and under my rear seat...:eek:

Moretorque

Dunce
Reaction score
So basically for work the old trucks are just plain better? for most. I have a 4.6 F150 now. Are they harder to maintain than that? my older 6.9 I ram forever just needed a injector pump and a starter and it ran forever. I have a 7.3 in a Van as well. Thanks.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Saying something is better than something else is purely subjective. One needs to know whats being talked about. The plain simple truth is the idi engine is cheaper to operate than any other truck diesel. Now the Gm 6.2 and 6.5 diesel engines get much better milage for fuel but... mThey have severe crank main bearing web issues. The block cranks and the cranks walk.. Not a good deal. So whats better is up to the person talking. Our engines share many internal parts with the 6.9 engines. So if the 7.3 needs a crank, oil pump, rods or many other parts we have both engines to choose from. We are nearly the small block chevy of the ford world. We don't have lots of after market go fast or hi hp parts either. But what we do have is several very good builders of pumps, heads and cams that can wake up these engines. Bottom line is we can do many things and a turbo surely will wake up any idi engine. Then that stock turbo can be worked on to really awaken the hp too. Now add in a Moose pump and injecters and you have a very nice engine capable to doing the mail run with gusto. But we will never be a psd engine with unlimited hp by changing a chip.

Moretorque

Dunce
Reaction score
I am just interested in a work truck, I have a 9 second crotch rocket when I want to move and get Ya yas out but I am getting to old for that. Maybe a F 450 with a John Force fuel motor will work. LOL I just want a good work truck and think the older stuff is more bullet proof. I read the early 7.3's would blow head gaskets if you run to much turbo boost?

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
No, not "just plain better." We like them better, hell we love them. But they do have their issues. The biggest one for alot of people is power. The IDI simply has none. Now turbo'ed, intercooled, and with a moose pump. You can break into the 200's in the HP department. That will get any job done, just not quickly. However it's the only vehicle I know where you can replace the entire fuel system for under $1000, and a day's wrenching, then be set for 100k miles.

Cavitation is another issue, alot of these rigs were run for a lot of miles without SCA's in the coolant, and have been pretty chewed up by the block worm.

Also, the return line system sucks. It just does. But Russ (type4) has really really nice return line kits for dirt cheap. If you buy the truck, order one from him the same day. You may not need it right away, but you will soon enough.

Cooling is a big thing for pretty much any diesel, and with the age of the cooling system on that rig, be prepared for water pump and radiator. (use ONLY the motorcraft pump, and the motercraft thermostat for replacements. For the radiator, don't skimp, get a good aluminum one. RodenyRed makes one of the best, it's spendy, but if you haul heavy you'll thank yourself for buying it. The Champion is much more affordable, and ALOT of people here have had really really good luck with it.)

The E40D is often an issue, but proper preventative maintenance usually keeps it on the road without troubles. And while expensive, an updated HD rebuilt unit will be the last trans ever bought for the truck.

The DMF flywheel is another issue, if it's a standard. Replacements are expensive and hard to find, and an SMF replacement comes with its own set of minor issues.

Overall they're ridiculously overbuilt, tough as nails (hell I set mine on fire once... only had to replace the return lines, air filter, and CDR =P), cheap, simple, and they will run on anything that burns. (you will have to add lubrication to your fuel, as they were not designed for the USLD we have now) On top of that, they come with the option of becoming an OB IDI member. This place is the best automotive resource I've ever seen. Both for knowledge and for parts.

Moretorque

Dunce
Reaction score
Thank you how do you know if you have block worm and what is s c a? additive ? so the new fuels always need a good additive? and what about the price of diesel compared to gas?

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
You can buy litmus strips to test for SCA, supplemental coolant additive. You add SCA to your coolant to prevent cavitation. Cavitation is basically tiny bubbles imploding from the harmonics within a diesel. When they implode, they etch into the metal and can etch right through the water jackets and punch a hole into the cylinder. A 7.3 is basically a bored out 6.9 so the cavatation can become apparent faster than in a 6.9 block because the walls are thinner. You can roll the dice, add sca's and stop cavatation in its tracks but you may always be wonder if there is an issue with it and how far progressed it is.

It is a very good idea to add a supplement to your fuel as well, it will greatly prolong the life of your pump and injectors. Sulfur was added to diesel the same way lead was to gasoline. Sulfur provided lubrication for the injection system and now the old mechanical systems suffer without it, how much, I don't know. A pump that lasts 100,000 miles may have lasted 150,000 on the old diesel and may last that long or longer with today's additive.

The price of diesel compared to gas......I like to compare apples to apples. The 460 gas pot got about 7mpg's in a truck like mine, the 7.3 turbo will out run a stock 460 and at least double the mileage doing it.Some guys say well my Ranger gets 18mpg's, a brand new 1/2 ton gets 21mpg's. All of that may be true but there is a cost to it. The ranger is small, the new truck is expensive. An F250 ext cab with an overdrive transmission and 3:55 gears usually sees the mid to upper teens for an average mileage wise, pretty darned good if you ask me. Powerstrokes are usually in the same arena for mileage and the V10 in that era is a single digit monster for fuel consumption as well.

I have terrible luck with automatic transmissions so I have a cardinal rule to have enough money saved up to have the trans rebuilt when I am looking at an older rig. Many others have better luck than me but its something to consider.

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
They have a cam position sencer and when it fails your dead right there too. The glow plugs require 110 volts to heat up. That takes special care to work on plus... they are hidden under the valve covers as is the injecters. BTW an injecter change out will run you as much as $5000,00 parts and labor.

Um... where did you get a $5000 quote for injectors? I just had mine rebuilt and upgraded for $1200. Installation is a bit of a pain, but no one can do anything themselves without getting frustrated at it anyway. And a crank position sensor takes all of 10 minutes to replace. And remember, those injectors last at LEAST twice as long as a set of IDI injectors. So apples to apples, you're really only paying about $200 more per set of powerstroke injectors than to replace two sets of IDI injectors at $350 a set, plus $50 for return lines.

Wellused

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$2600 for reman Dodge commonrail injectors with new tubes and labor.Ouch.Did it last fall.Coulda bought internet mystery injectors but went dealership instead.I have 425 horse commonrail 04 ram that hasnt moved since I bought this old 7.3 truck.I love the idi rattle and low end tq and the mileage.17 is a good day for the Dodge..the old 7.3 is doing much better than that

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Um... where did you get a $5000 quote for injectors? I just had mine rebuilt and upgraded for $1200. Installation is a bit of a pain, but no one can do anything themselves without getting frustrated at it anyway. And a crank position sensor takes all of 10 minutes to replace. And remember, those injectors last at LEAST twice as long as a set of IDI injectors. So apples to apples, you're really only paying about $200 more per set of powerstroke injectors than to replace two sets of IDI injectors at $350 a set, plus $50 for return lines.
Yes but you are in Arkansas, In cali it likely would cost a hell of a lot more. We just had the injectors done on a 6.0 with 130k miles and the total was 3k, so they dont really last any longer than IDI parts. If fuel additives are used IDI parts can last 200k, no fuel system , IDI, HUEI, common rail, is up to ***** at that mileage though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle