Exhaust?

1995voyagerES

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have this system on my 88 7.3 with a ATS Turbo. Sounds nice when you step on it. Cruising is not very loud. Idle too. But all that can be different without a turbo.

btw: Is the mileage corect with almost 4 million miles ??? wow!!

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the dyno max kit on my crew cab. It was cheaper than any exhaust shop quoted me and was great quality. Nice tone the whole way through.

I'd buy it again

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i ran that muffler as n/a......was too much.i got pulled over climbing a hill.he let me go,but it could have easily been a ticket.once i added a turbo it got way better.i made it better again by installing a larger muffler a dynomax/walker "big truck muffler".

see my thread titled "log truck" and look towards the end (currently) after the turbo install.you'll see the kit i put together.total cost was $277 (rounded up) and that was with buying a full 10' stick of 3.5" pipe due to such a long custom extended wheel base.
iirc,i grabbed just about everything from summit.minus the 4" tail pipe.i found that cheaper on ebay.hangers,clamps,adapters,muffler all summit.10' pipe local hd truck store "traction".

2.5" would be plenty for n/a (it wouldn't surprise me if the oem 2.25 is more than enough lol.)
3" is good for a turbo kit.
according to banks dyno's the 3.5" was good for just 4-5 hp more at 3k+ rpms.
so 4" would be needless just fyi.(go with it though if that's what you want.just know you could do it cheaper is all.)

Last edited:

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought all the original style Walker stuff from the local parts store, y-pipe all the way back over the axle, and put a piece of straight pipe in for the muffler. I was expecting it to be loud but it's not bad at all. I would think it would flow near the same as the oversized system with a muffler. I had less that $200 in it, shipped to the store for free. Eyeballing it, most of it was 2 1/2". The two downfall pieces welded to make the y looked to be 2 1/4".

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Nice kit for the money in my opinion.

I have the y pipe from the kit and its good quality.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought all the original style Walker stuff from the local parts store, y-pipe all the way back over the axle, and put a piece of straight pipe in for the muffler. I was expecting it to be loud but it's not bad at all. I would think it would flow near the same as the oversized system with a muffler. I had less that $200 in it, shipped to the store for free. Eyeballing it, most of it was 2 1/2". The two downfall pieces welded to make the y looked to be 2 1/4".

i take it you don't haul or tow daily then? when your n/a and the muffler isn't big enough (or not even there lol) that loud raw exhaust gets old real quick at 3k-3600 rpm pulling hills in 2nd gear.:D
if your running empty out in flat land with no load things would be way different of course.

C.J.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i take it you don't haul or tow daily then? when your n/a and the muffler isn't big enough (or not even there lol) that loud raw exhaust gets old real quick at 3k-3600 rpm pulling hills in 2nd gear.:D
if your running empty out in flat land with no load things would be way different of course.

My 6.9 NA was straight piped and conversations got put on hold while accelerating.-cuss Put a turbo on it and straight piped is just perfect

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck was terribly loud and made a very loud popping noise when it had dual 2 1/4" exhaust with glasspacks. I agree it was too loud. When it rusted out I cut the pipes off, installed two 2 1/4" turbo mufflers and ran both out the pass side in front of the rear wheel. It was fairly quiet.

Then what was left of the duals rusted out, so I had a decision to make, the easiest and cheapest was the one I chose. I decided you put the straight pipe in to see what happened. I was getting ready for it to be loud but was surprised how quiet it is. No loud popping and it has noticeably better throttle response. I can't explain it, but mine is not that loud. I can only hear it when I have a load on it and go over a narrow bridge or pass close by another vehicle.

ADV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have that kit on my truck. After I cut off all the exhaust hangers shortend them and re welded them back on it hung under the truck great. It was nice getting a full kit but was more screwing around than I thought it was going to be.

But in the end I like it sounds nice. My mom tells me its to loud but thats ok.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have that kit on my truck. After I cut off all the exhaust hangers shortend them and re welded them back on it hung under the truck great. It was nice getting a full kit but was more screwing around than I thought it was going to be.

But in the end I like it sounds nice. My mom tells me its to loud but thats ok.

That the part I forgot. I too did not like the low hangers but I didn't do anything about it. Put it all on and sold the truck.

Did anyone else have to take the trans cross member off to install the Y pipe or was that just my dumb luck?

ADV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did not have to remove cross member. But if I would have left the hangers the tip would have been lower than the rear axle.