Exhaust wrap

Ilovelamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm about to wrap my manifolds before I install them does anybody have an idea if copper wire will last for securing it? I have a brand new roll of stainless but I can't seem to find it

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why not ceramic coat it instead? It will keep more heat in than heat wrap, it wont rust, and it looks pretty nice too.
You must be registered for see images attach

Ilovelamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not ceramic coat it instead? It will keep more heat in than heat wrap, it wont rust, and it looks pretty nice too.

I definitely want to but I can't find anyone around here that doesn't require a minimum order... I had them sandblasted and painted them with header paint but I definitely prefer ceramic coating!

Ilovelamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can ship them to me and Ill do it, are you just wanting to do the up pipe, manifolds and crossover?
I would like the manifolds, I'm not sure if the banks exhaust pieces are already coated? It's at my house in Arkansas until I'm ready for it, do you happen to know if they're coated from the factory?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont believe the banks parts are coated from the factory, all the ones Ive seen are pretty rusty by now. Which model kit is it?

Ilovelamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
21064, if they're not, I would definitely like to get them done, I've zinc coated and yellow chromated all my bolts and had everything that bolts on powder coated. I like things clean and at least coated well so they can be cleaned easily when things happen! I'll have to get that kit here and ship them to you, where did you say you were located?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve seen your thread, looks to be a very clean setup. I’m located north of San Antonio, address for the shop is:

Classic Diesel Designs
4843 west Ammann road
Bulverde Texas 78163

lsaami

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry to derail, but I have a very related question and didn't think it was worth making a whole new thread.

That being said, my question.

Does header/up pipe wrap/ceramic coating increase EGTs because you lose the heat sync ability of the metal piping, or is it a non-issue and I'm overthinking it? Obviously scavenging plays into effect too, but I'm not knowledgeable to know what would be the end result, and I haven't found and useful topics online discussing this.

Ilovelamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve seen your thread, looks to be a very clean setup. I’m located north of San Antonio, address for the shop is:

Classic Diesel Designs
4843 west Ammann road
Bulverde Texas 78163
Thanks man, I was thinking about bringing them by but I'm about 4 hours away. I'm going to get to Arkansas and get that kit and send em to you

lsaami

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see maybe a 50* increase in egts typically, but in exchange for better spool up and a cooler cab.

Good to know. I'll have to keep an eye on my EGTs next time I'm towing to see if I have the wiggle room. (my Banks up pipe is pretty smooshed to fit next to the transmission)

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I have a first gen Banks. I couldn't find any listing for ceramic coating close to me. Everything came up as powder coating. So I sent my manifolds and the turbo mount off the Wes to have them ceramic coated. I did these first since they are the hardest to remove once everything's installed. In the future, I'll send off the crossover/ up pipes and at least the upper part of the down pipe to have them done too. I'm looking at the performance a little bit, but mostly the cab heat reduction and the longevity of your parts not rusting.

Ilovelamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a first gen Banks. I couldn't find any listing for ceramic coating close to me. Everything came up as powder coating. So I sent my manifolds and the turbo mount off the Wes to have them ceramic coated. I did these first since they are the hardest to remove once everything's installed. In the future, I'll send off the crossover/ up pipes and at least the upper part of the down pipe to have them done too. I'm looking at the performance a little bit, but mostly the cab heat reduction and the longevity of your parts not rusting.
Yea man, longevity is my biggest concern, I'm putting the best of everything within reason into it. I don't plan on ever getting rid of it so I want, easily cleaned and easy to work on. The only thing I'll ever do beyond this is swap a 50s through 72 4 door body onto it. I'll definitely be sending the stuff to him as soon as I can get up there to get my parts.