excessive smoke

openroader

Reaction score
Hello to all! I have an 85 e350xl with a 6.9. I just bought the van back in this past summer. It ran great, just a little hazey on startup. I had a minor coolant leak on the drivers side head due to an injector failure. I ported the heads. New valve seals. Got a 93cc ip. Aftermarket cam for smooth power curve. And new injectors. I have a problem. I have excessive grey smoke always and no power. I have made dimewidth adjustments with test ride both advancing and retarding as far as pump would turn. Either way I cannot get this beast to operate properly. Any ideas?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Where did you get these parts. May have been RD performance aka Jason. How many miles are on the injection pump and how did you remove and replace it when you did the heads. If... you removed the pump with the gear and housing then you probably have it out of gear time. We can help fix that but it a bigger job to talk about it if you did not do this removal. What is the timing now. If you do not know then you must find out what it is. I rent a simple easy to use timing meter to members here because no shop will time our engines anywhere these days. The pump sounds suspect at this point no matter how new or old it is.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was the IP a new or rebuilt one? If rebuilt, if you don't mind, who did you get it from? As said, it has to be timed by a timing instrument, by ear it's a SWAG. How old are the injectors? Painted gray, they could be original and wore out.

openroader

Reaction score
Well, I don't want to throw anyone under the bus, but yes I got the ip, the injectors, and the cam from r&d. I want to also say he's been nothin but helpful thus far and I don't want to slander his name or business but if he's developed a bad reputation then so be it. I had the gears off, and reinstalled them according to the directons that came with the cam. I made sure the #1 cam events matched the stroke accordingly, and the cam instructions were to retard one tooth, with the pump advanced one tooth.

So what do you guys know that I don't lol

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I wasn't saying his stuff is bad.

But it helps us know you didn't a crap pump from some other "paint rebuild company."
Have you contacted Justin about it?

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

openroader

Reaction score
Yeah he's giving me full support but I just wanted to do some research, maybe rule out some possibilities. Do some learning. I appreciate any input.

openroader

Reaction score
I was tinkingg an injection detector would help me in diagnois and trouble shooting. I have had the ip in 10 different positioms from it sounding like a gasser to crazy loud and everywhere inbetween. Noise incrementally increasing with advance. One common symptom: excessive smoke and no power. Ploom of black smoke after throttle bump.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I don't want to throw anyone under the bus, but yes I got the ip, the injectors, and the cam from r&d. I want to also say he's been nothin but helpful thus far and I don't want to slander his name or business but if he's developed a bad reputation then so be it. I had the gears off, and reinstalled them according to the directons that came with the cam. I made sure the #1 cam events matched the stroke accordingly, and the cam instructions were to retard one tooth, with the pump advanced one tooth.

So what do you guys know that I don't lol

Ok 90 cc pump, small banks turbo and a cam that helps bleed off static compression for high boost applications correct? new pop matched injectors?????

As well you got cam instructions to advance and retard timing...hmm...never heard of this however it does not in anyway mean that it's wrong.

Sounds to me that it may be too much pump and not enough squeeze for the engine at hand.

Or the cam may have to go in straight up with pump straight up too.

How much boost are you making? What are your EGT's at?

I'd get a decent timing meter or Ferret adapter and either timing tape or an adjustable timing light and properly check timing at 2000 RPM and see what comes of it.

openroader

Reaction score
But to answer your question I was considering pirchasing one. It seems like a worthwhile tool to have.

openroader

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach
Yes new rd injectors.

I will try to attach pic of gear drawing.

When you say "strait up" does that have to do with the gears size ratios? If I turn my ip gear 360degrees what will that do?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online