Everything seems to be leaking. 94 IDIT

Saev

Reaction score
I bought a 1994 F350 Centurion with the IDI turbo engine. It had 86k miles when I bought it a year ago, it has just under 89k now. Either the 'dealer' I picked it up from or the PO had the undercarriage hosed down with a rhino-line knock off - it's pretty messy and uneven. I think hastily done to hide problems. In hindsight, I should have laughed at the dealer and kept my money but well, here I am.

It is, as far as I can tell, completely stock. All I've done was add a bluetooth head unit so I could make phone calls while driving. The only readily apparent problem is a small drip from the drain plug.

It doesn't burn oil. It doesn't burn coolant. Cold starts are difficult, but I suspect this is injectors/return lines. I brought it for a work trip up a mountain pass and back yesterday. 150 miles, with maybe 500lbs in the bed. Not towing. Checked the oil when I got home and thought the oil looked slightly grey, but it'd been a long day and it was dark out so I closed it up. Checked dipstick this AM and it looked fine.

Took off oil cap, it's normal. Took of radiator cap, had some orangeish rust looking residue at the cap but otherwise fluid is full (engine cold) and clear. The fluid is the overflow is murky but emerald, smells pretty bad though. Then I got under the car.

I'm attaching photos of what I know to be the oil cooler, but the other piece I don't know. The pic of what I think could be a leaking head gasket is taken from above the oil cooler on the back of the engine.

I think I'll need to replace the entire oil cooler given how flaked and rusted it is, but I have no idea what that other cylinder with the hard lines under it is, but it's obviously leaking onto the up-pipe. Also looks like my up-pipe has rusted through entirely on the passenger side (along with my exhaust elbow and down-pipe).

Basically just need to know what that 2nd cylinder with the hardlines under it is, and if anyone can tell if that's a leaking HG or just residual road sludge... All I know about these trucks, this engine and diesels in general is what I've read on this forum for the last day.

Thanks guys.

You must be registered for see images attach

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks to me, from your pics, that valve covers may need tightening down or replacing & you MAY have a rub leak on the tranny line under the starter. You may have fuel/oil leaking from lifter pan cover which is designed to drain on right rear. Oil cooler doesn't appear to be leaking to me.
Mighty clean looking to me.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could be fuel leaking down the valley pan onto the starter area making it look like a leak from those areas. That is super clean honestly. Here's a valve cover leak I had on my 6.9

rewbrooks50

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had the same leak down the rear of the engine. Thewespaul on this site found a leak at the #7 injector. Also the valve covers are a common leak point.

Rick

Saev

Reaction score
Oh man. Good news I guess. I'd definitely prefer replacing valve cover gaskets instead of the other things. Thanks again guys.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online