ether damage?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Precups are pressed in. Even my new heads years ago needed a brass drip pin thru the glowplug hole to be removed. Sure they can get loose but know they are pressed in. The ONLY place they touch the heads is the outer machined ring. Internally they do not touch the cast iron head

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The first IDI I bought had two glow plugs snapped off in the heads (both on driverside), it was a ****** to start until I added an ether injection system. The system actually came with a pressurized bottle similar to a small propane torch in size which I mounted under the hood, then a flexible line ran directly to the air cleaner. Mechanical lever inside cab allowed me to shoot ether from the seat just before cranking engine. Ran it that way for several years to avoid pulling engine and fixing correctly which I eventually did. That same engine with repaired heads is now in the truck in my sig. Bottom end has over 300,000 miles + I added a factory turbo, and routinely run 50 / 50 used motor oil mix.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Works great, I burn it all thru hunting season when travelling state to state. Little extra smoke, and a little quicker to elevate exhaust temps however when compared to the financial savings of effectively doubling your fuel mileage it's a no brainer. Best success for me has been utilized on longer trips with mix in one tank, straight diesel in the other. Start & stop on straight diesel. I don't have exotic filtering system for the oil. Your best friend is time and settling then pump thru normal fuel filter. If the oil contains water, wait till freezing temperatures and pump oil while water is frozen. If it's a milk shake (oil & anti freeze) use it to burn brush......

steelheadguy

Registered Idiot
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well. Starts right up when warm or plugged in. Wont start on ether if cold. Only an occasional sputter.
Still sounds like air intrusion?

Ive been neglecting the truck. The temperature is finally warming up and days are getting longer. Time to hive her some tlc.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Yep, most need fuel present to fire with ether. Mine will start with just a whiff, but the fuel system is working properly.

pcwizzy16

Reaction score
Southern Oregon ay?I'm in southern Oregon too. Did you ever put sulfer additive in the fuel? If not, the lube-lacking fuel probably wore out the IP.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online