ether damage?

steelheadguy

Registered Idiot
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am having trouble starting my truck. I had burned out glow plugs and replaced them with new ones just to have them burn out again. Where the truck gets parked there is no power to plug it in, so I went against everyones advice and unplugged the GPs and used ether to start. Ive been doing this since November, so it has had about 20 cold ether starts.
Usually it takes just a tiny spray and she starts right up. Yesterday I sprayed and it started quick but sounded like a "weaker" start than normal. I drove 60 miles total with 3 stops and normal healthy warm starts with no ether.

Today, ether would not start it. It sputtered twice but still failed to start. Batteries are topped off. I have fuel at the schrader valve. Does it sound like I may have damaged the engine? What should I test?

Im going to bring out a generator to try the block heater tomorrow.

On a side note: the last time I drove it (60 miles) it seemed to have normal power. But at one point I noticed it sounded a little different if I hit the throttle in neutral. I also noticed possibly extra white smoke, but it also could have been from the huge puddle I splashed through.

I dont know the trucks history but I always assumed the IP and injectors were old because for the passed 2 years it always has had white/grey smokey exhaust.

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the only thing ether could do is break something (for example your GP's ignite a cylinder at the wrong time). In other words, I think it would be obvious to you if ether damaged something. I would look at your IP, do the ATF treatment, cranking speed (compression), bleed injectors, air intrusion, pop test injectors (not all in this order but you get the idea).

Sounds like about $1000 to me ;)

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Uhm.... what do you mean "batteries are topped off?"
Sounds like the classic case of air intrusion to me. Lol

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could be a worn out starter as well. Even with the best batteries in the world a crap starter will keep it from starting.

tradergem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since you were starting the truck with the glow plugs disconnected with only small amounts of ether, there probably is no damage. However if the IP is on the old side you may need to re-time it and see if that doesn't help until you can afford to buy a new IP and injectors. Do you think your new starting running problems could be cold weather fuel related? How cold is it there in Southern Oregon? Are you running a good anti-gel in your fuel? Some of our fuel stations here in Minnesota have fuel pumps that allow you to select the blend of diesel fuel you get from straight #2 to various mixes of #2 and #1 diesel. Needless to say this can lead to cold weather fuel problems if you use the higher blend of #2 diesel and the temperature drops again.

Just this past week we were in the 40*'s for several days and yesterday we got hit with another snow storm and temps down in the 20*'s. March is really unstable weather for our area.

steelheadguy

Registered Idiot
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Uhm.... what do you mean "batteries are topped off?"
Sounds like the classic case of air intrusion to me. Lol

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
I mean they have recently been charged and overnight trickle charged.
I wasnt thinking air intrusion or injection pump because wouldn't it still start for a second off of the ether?

Its about 10 degrees Fahrenheit at night.

The starter sounds healthy and cranks fast.

I filled up with Xtreme diesel made for our cold weather and added antigel.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
contrary to popular myth, the proper application of ether to start a vehicle is doable and will not do damage if used properly. as with anything, you have to use it properly or it will bite you in the ass. ether won't start a truck if there isn't a presence of diesel at the same time. start looking for the reason why you're not getting fuel to the injectors. anybody who wants to argue about the downside of either, you win. you shouldn't use ether. I'll keep doing what I do.

steelheadguy

Registered Idiot
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My return line is all fairly new.

How can I easily test the injectors and pump? By just loosening each one, one by one, while cranking?

I almost hope it is the pump or injectors because I know the truck has been due for a new pump.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My return line is all fairly new.

How can I easily test the injectors and pump? By just loosening each one, one by one, while cranking?

I almost hope it is the pump or injectors because I know the truck has been due for a new pump.
crack open the lines at the injectors and crank with the ignition "on" you should see almost immediate wetness at the fitting or you have problems.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
You really can't test the injectors with them in the engine, without it running. If you decide that it's the pump, then replace the injectors at the same time. They usually wear out at about the same time.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
On this '83 motor(cold), when I wasn't getting fuel(fss wire fell off) it wouldn't even pop on just ether.
After this video was taken, I got a good set of glow plugs in it and it fires right up with those. A good set of glow plugs will do /far/ more to help an IDI start, if you can.

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
contrary to popular myth, the proper application of ether to start a vehicle is doable and will not do damage if used properly. as with anything, you have to use it properly or it will bite you in the ass. ether won't start a truck if there isn't a presence of diesel at the same time. start looking for the reason why you're not getting fuel to the injectors. anybody who wants to argue about the downside of either, you win. you shouldn't use ether. I'll keep doing what I do.

ether in any pre comchamber heads will do damage ! the pre chambers will get loose in the head and will "move and take out your head gaskets. have pulled idi heads before from a no starter and had the precup fall out of the head while setting it onto the bench. cups loose = junk heads.....................

idi AVOID ether! direct injection cylinder heads are a totally different beast> go nuts with the ether;)

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ether in any pre comchamber heads will do damage ! the pre chambers will get loose in the head and will "move and take out your head gaskets. have pulled idi heads before from a no starter and had the precup fall out of the head while setting it onto the bench. cups loose = junk heads.....................

idi AVOID ether! direct injection cylinder heads are a totally different beast> go nuts with the ether;)
Um... Pre-cups aren't pressed in there with an interference fit as far as I know, just a slip fit. They are designed to be replaced. It's totally fine for them to come out with little pressure with the heads on the bench.
They are retained by the head gasket/fire ring pushing against one half of it, IIRC.
If one is slightly loose and won't stay, use some grease to stick it in place and reinstall the head. The grease will just burn off on first start anyway.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are pressed in, but they won’t fall into the cylinder if they come loose due to the interference rob mentioned. They can be a pain to remove sometimes but they are replaceable

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726