engineering flaws you dispise

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
what are they? not saying things that were out or break, just the stupid things they did to the trucks

80-86 - LOCATION OF HIGH BEAM INDICATOR! every truck I have driven with a non tilt column put the indicator behind the wheel. can see it at all

87-91 - other than the truck being butt ugly, radio location on the dash. morons.

92-97 - oil pressure gauge not being a gauge. why even have it then.....

all three generations - HEAD LIGHT SWITCH! why run that much load threw em.

got any others?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I hate the weak columns in obs trucks.

I didn't see much else "wrong" with my obs nor bricknose.

Oh the plastic dash mounts in obs trucks.

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Times 2 on the backing up tank filler hoses.... I can't even fill at some stations because the pump keeps stopping, even on the lowest setting.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

Reaction score
I suppose I'm lucky in that I find bricknoses the most handsome of all three generations that came with an IDI option. Anywho.......

My general gripe (and this is with any design), is when I need a special tool or some random combo of extensions and u-joints to get at things. That's compounded when the justification for the weird hardware location can't be seen, i.e. They had PLENTY of space to move the bolt over a smidge to make life tolerable, but didn't think about the guy wrenching on it. Seems like every job I do under the hood has something else in the way or is at a weird angle (IP mounting bolts come to mind), which is made that much more frustrating when you sit back and look at the size of the engine bay and the amount of unused space. So annoying! If the design guy would just sit back and say 'could I easily get a wrench from a 100 PC Craftsman set on there?' every time he placed a fastener, life would be so much easier.

We have the same issue at my work, though. You wouldn't believe the number of sockets we have where the OD is ground down to crazy thin levels so you can get it around a nut that was designed with insnfficient room around it. As the guy who has to design the tools for situations like this, it drives me nuts! Then again, if design guys thought harder about how to making putting something together easier, I guess I'd be out of a job.......

Mike

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The damn plastic headlight covers on the 89 trucks. They so suck when they wear out from the elements.

glowplug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok what is (obs) i'm learning here lol
i have a 92 f350 the dash mount right next to passinger door i think is plastic and broke. dash jumps driving over bumps. do they make replacements (metal) or will any other trucks fit it that is not plastic? i have not pulled the dash yet so i don't know what it looks like but i can cut, bend and weld has anyone made any on there own?

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
funny yall mention the filler hose problems. having owned 5 different idi trucks, I have yet to have problems filling. 83 regular cab, 83 flatbed, 86 regular, 86 flatbed, and my 94. all fill with no problems.

wildman7798

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Didn't affect me but I hear it a lot - a dog dish style air cleaner lid with no rubber washered wing nut that allows free flowing rain water to enter your engine when the hood seal dries out. Glow plugs that swell over time or are not robust enough to not break apart on removal. I have a 1980 JD 65hp diesel tractor that doesn't even have glow plugs and starts in half a revolution every time.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
STUPID core/freeze plugs requiring a bizzare tool to install correctly...*** over...

Fire wall clearance!

I hear ya on the IP clearance however...that IP was around LOOOOOOONG before the engine...as such its likely that they had to make do with what they had in this instance....

******* valve guides...don't ask me how I loath them! Grrrrr

CDR and GP relay location...*** over...

Stock lift pump that bleeds fuel into oil...ya that's a good one!

bj style D 60 and even worse...unit bearings and ball joints on newer D60..

D50/44 TTB ya that was good NOT!

Fuel filler neck

Door spring n 87 up the flat one that breaks...

Yuppers stupid ford headlight switch...been like this for years btw...long before the bullnose...

DRL module...

off set steering at an angle in brick nose...not as bad as Superwifey's Mustang mind you...

dumb fuel line clips..

FSV

**** poor brakes...shoulda been hydroboost from get go!

Oh did I mention **** poor brakes...rears shoulda been better engineered or disks for consistency.

Slip yoke transfercase instead of fixed yoke like Bronco...

Ya thats about it so far...will edit when I think of more...

This is why we redux the rear brakes or add disks., hydroboost, headlight relays, fuel filler neck mods, change fuel lines, convert to D60, add electric lift pumps, change out CDR for road draft and maybe relocate GP, and add bronze guides..ya that's bout it ...for now!

Just sayin...

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
plastic injector caps are kind of a plus, kind of a minus. I have had no problems with mine really but as far as longevity goes I prefer the cummins design, however I can fix my return lines with parts from any auto store so I guess that is a plus.

headlights not being on relays,

plastic dash that cracks horribly

location of radio in my 91, I am going to swap hvac and radio so I am not looking way down there to see the radio.