Engine swap

Ford86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have a 1986 f350 with a 6.9 and c6 tranny. My dad passed this truck down to me and I am now restoring it in memory of my grandfather who bought the truck for my dad. My dad barely used the truck but he didn't do a oil change in 5 years... I go to school for automotive and my school let me bring my truck in to work on it. Long story short I had to keep a oil bucket under neath it because it had a constant drip of oil coming from the engine. The valve cover leaks basically the hole engine. I also think it's burning coolant. So instead of fixing the 6.9 my buddy is selling a 7.3 idi turbo out of a 1994. The engine has pretty low miles and also leaks no oil and has a new oil pan. But needs glow plugs. So I purchased it off him to swap in. As far as I know they are the same block so I'm thinking the engine mounts are the same. Also I think the tranny will bolt right up as well. The turbo might hit the fire wall but that's what they invented hammers for right? Haha

I'm wondering if there is any other concerns or if I have to make modifications to anything to make it work. Also I want to do a air intake and a bigger down pipe. I was gonna do 4" all the way from the down tipe to the back. Does that sound good? Also I was thinking on removing the oil pan and checking the crank for anything bad do you think it's worth it? Also is there anything else I should be checking on this engine Thank you for any advice!

Last edited:

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine will bolt right in. You will need the flywheel from the 94 engine, as the factory turbo engines are balanced differently. I would reseal the new engine while it is out, but do not use an oil pan gasket...RTV only. That is the way the factory did it too. Since it has a new oil pan, someone may have added a gasket, but take it out if they did.

No need for 4 inch exhaust. These engines don't move that much air. 3 inch downpipe is just about all you can squeeze in between the engine and the firewall. You will need to flatten the cab pinch weld on the passenger side of the trans tunnel to get the downpipe to fit.

Good luck with it! Don't be afraid to ask questions. None of us were born knowing all about these engines, but we can all learn from other who have been there before.

Ford86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay awesome! And should I be looking for a flex plate since its automatic? I was gonna go with motorcraft glow plugs from the research I've done. And RTV all the seals? And I hear ya! I'm going to school for just auto but I'm looking to go to college to be a diesel tech. I've grown a passion for diesels growing up around them. And what better way to learn then on a old mechanical diesel.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Every 6.9 and 7.3 idi engine block and heads are drilled the same so they can be swapped easily. Main issue with the fit is the turbo at the firewall. That metal seam needs to be cut away and hammered back out of the way. Now if you were to add a 2 inch body lift then the turbo fits nicely.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
do not take a hammer to your grandpas truck.
treat the truck right!
while the engine is out, slice the pinch weld from the firewall to the floor pan and bend it down.
the best way ive found to clearance the firewall for the down pipe is to weld a 2" piece of pipe thats cut in half
to 5' of pipe .095 wall +
then you can use it in a slide hammer fashion with the engine in and only clearance where you need.
a porta power works great too.
dont just go beating it, putting hammer marks in it.
everything will go right in with the exception of the flywheel as stated.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay awesome! And should I be looking for a flex plate since its automatic? I was gonna go with motorcraft glow plugs from the research I've done. And RTV all the seals? And I hear ya! I'm going to school for just auto but I'm looking to go to college to be a diesel tech. I've grown a passion for diesels growing up around them. And what better way to learn then on a old mechanical diesel.

I used rtv and gaskets on everything I have replaced so far. The oil pan shouldn't have a gasket, even though they include it in the engine gasket sets. Take it out and throw it away, rtv only in that location.

Motorcraft glow plugs only! Read read read. There is tons of info here. Use it!

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As the other guys where mentioning the factory turbo engines in 93 & 94 used different rods and crank from the earlier engines. And thus they are timed differently. So the balancer and flywheels are 93&94 turbo engine specific. So correct you will need to use a flex plate for the 93-94 engine.

Definitely ask away. This is hands down the best forum for 6.9&7.3 idi engines.

-Jeremy

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
As the other guys where mentioning the factory turbo engines in 93 & 94 used different rods and crank from the earlier engines. And thus they are timed differently. So the balancer and flywheels are 93&94 turbo engine specific. So correct you will need to use a flex plate for the 93-94 engine.

Definitely ask away. This is hands down the best forum for 6.9&7.3 idi engines.

-Jeremy

The crank is the same in all 6.9 and 7.3 engines. Only difference is the balancing. they bolt in any idi engine. The turbo rods are the same too outside the wrist pin being larger but.. They too will bolt into any idi engine if you have the pistons to go with them.
Now about changine the flywheel to a flex plate. You will NEED a special no longer made crank spacer. Its about 1 1/4 inches thick and takes the place of the thick flywheel. Without it you can't just bolt a flexplate to the crank. It will not fit.

Ford86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The owner dosent the know but he's going to text his family friend which he bought it off of. And I'm confused because it's a automatic transmission as far as I knew they had a flex plate instead of a fly wheel. My transmission now is a automatic and dosent have a fly wheel so I'm thinking I just have to bolt up the new flex plate and it should work since I didn't have a fly wheel to begin with. my local shop can get a flex plate for a E40D which is the transmission they used in those year trucks. For 90$ new does that sound reasonable? also I have s picture of the rear of the engine if that will help anything. I will just need to figure out how to upload it since I am very new to the forum haha. Thank you guys for all the help I really appreciate it

Ford86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

hopefully it worked thank you very much that made posting the picture very easy!

Ford86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im thinking that I can bolt the flex plate right to it. Cause at school today I asked my teacher and he showed me a 289 mustang engine and it had the flex plate bolted right to the engine. Are these engines the same way? what do you guys think? thank you once again!

FastestIdIinthe707

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey man welcome to the forums. Easier to talk here then on Instagram! I've done this swap but with a zf5. Honestly you don't need to push the cab in much just make a tight fitting downpipe while its out and you should be good!

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope. Flex plate has to have the spacer.

Looks like this. Spacer goes in between the flex plate and the crank. That thin washer goes between the bolt heads and the flex plate.

You must be registered for see images attach