Engine storage

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am looking for a stand that's on wheels to mount my spare engine on. Right now it's sitting on jack stands and blocks in the middle of my shop and i really need to be able to move it around. All the ones I have found list that they fit specific engines. Just need something simple that will hold the weight of a complete engine.

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't but I have friends that can. I figured I could buy a stand cheaper that building one by the time I buy all the materials and make it.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
But they'll be weak.
I can't remember one people were using, but was in the few hundred dollar range. Should be able to build one a lot cheaper.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
I'm using one thats rated for 1250 pounds. The owner says he had a powerstoke on it for months. It did hold the idi but I was nervous so I blocked it up until I got the heads off.

Attachments

• IMG_0494.jpg
    IMG_0494.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 68

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is what I did.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

It's a harbor freight 1000lb stand I caught on sale for like $45. I cut the upright down to lower the thing closer to the floor. I took the center support out and replaced it with the pieces of angle to give the oil pan a place to go. Honestly, I miscalculated somewhere. I intended for the oil pan to sit a couple inches off the floor but it ended up a bit higher than that. Can't roll it over on the stand but it was really only intended for mobile storage which it does pretty well.

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got mine on the heaviest stand the shop im working in had available. It holds it, but it's making me nervous now that the heads are on. I bet it's a 1000lb ish stand. A smaller stand wanted nothing to do with this engine; I tried it before I knew they had the bigger one and ended up deciding no way.

Did a little Amazon search just now and found stands rated for 1500-2000lbs in the $100- $150 range. Price notwithstanding, that's the rating I would want if I was buying one. One was a torin (which I believe is a brand advance auto carries) and all were generic stands not specific to any engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a set of brackets (nothing more than an angled plate welded on each end of a ~6" piece of tubing with holes in one plate) that fit the motor mounts and let you set a motor on the ground level. Some will say that setting an idi on the pan is a bad idea due to the potential to collapse the pan against the oil pickup, which is reasonable, but can be avoided if you're careful. If you block under the rear end of the pan (avoiding the drain plug) it should be fine. Only real concern is dropping it directly on the drain plug IMHO.

Even without the brackets, you can pretty easily support one of these motors on blocks and do everything down to the short block. Once you have a short block then it's light enough that pretty much any engine stand should be fine. All the stands I've seen have enough adjustment they'll bolt up.

Even without a stand it's not the hard to do with the motor on the ground - strip it to a short block sitting on the pan/blocks, then lift and set on the rear surface, pull pan, pistons, etc, then support the crank and remove - block under the flywheel end or a line to a hoist will work, over even by hand if you're careful. Same thing in reverse to reassemble. More of a pain, yes, and you' have to be careful to keep thing clean, but certainly doable.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
go buy a welder! 10 feet of box tubing, and start making one.
you can get a cheap 110 gasless MIG for about 200.
box tubing, 50 bucks
learning how to weld = pricelss?

shopping cart swivel casters work great!

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I am looking for is something like this. http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance-Products/555/80063/10002/-1?parentProductId=2383067

I may end up having to have someone build me one just trying to find out if one exists first. I don't really need a rebuilding stand and am limited on space so I would like to keep it as small as possible. At some point this spring I am going to be moving my whole shop into a storage unit while I build a new house so I am thinking ahead to that as well.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I built a 2x6 wooden base with 6 inch swivel casters under it. I have push over most any item. The supports are 4x4 posts up from the base to the motor mounts and are attached to the base with the metal construction galvanised braces. I drilled a hole in the base where the oil drain plug is so the pan will rest on the flat area and not crush the plug into the bottom of the pan. Four swivel wheels and its easy to move anywhere. Check out the furniture dollys at Harbor Freight. Thats basically what mine looks like. I can and have moved all kinds of items on the dolly too.

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I built a 2x6 wooden base with 6 inch swivel casters under it. I have push over most any item. The supports are 4x4 posts up from the base to the motor mounts and are attached to the base with the metal construction galvanised braces. I drilled a hole in the base where the oil drain plug is so the pan will rest on the flat area and not crush the plug into the bottom of the pan. Four swivel wheels and its easy to move anywhere. Check out the furniture dollys at Harbor Freight. Thats basically what mine looks like. I can and have moved all kinds of items on the dolly too.

That's not a bad idea. Do you have any pics of it?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Best I can suggest for pics of my cradle is look at what HF has. I used carriage bolts thru the 2x6 corners. Its your choice to put the sides or the ends on the top of the other. Just lap the sides over the ends and bolt together. If you want a completely flat top use some 3/4 inch plywood as a cover.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HarleyCummins