Engine seems to have a miss

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I settled for this compression tester: http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=SER3468_0293962586

Worked pretty good until I got to the second round (1st = cold, 2nd = warm) got #7 and #5 done then the tester would not hold pressure. :dunno Going to go to the store and see what they can do. They know me and are usually good to work with.

Here are the #'s"

Cold Warm
1 430
2 470
3 480
4 490
5 480 510
6 470
7 430 480
8 490

All cylinders are within 12.25% cold. The 2 that I got the warm readings on went from 11.5% difference to 6% difference. Not to bad.

Judging by what I read on this thread http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?62262-installing-new-pump-and-injectors I think that what I am hearing is normal and I am just used to the old/wore out pump/injectors sound. It runs smooth (when I cracked the lines I felt what a real "miss" would feel like :eek:), just different than what I am used to. I am going to mess with the timing a little to see if I can limit the blue/white smoke I am getting at about 1/3-1/2 throttle, but that also might be normal. Currently at 8.5 deg will try 9-9.5.

If I get a chance to finish the warm timing readings I will re-post as well as if I get any more info.

Thanks again to all for any input.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well warm timing reading I think should have been warm compression reading.. But its understood... The number one is where I would look closer at. You may need a better reading on that cylinder. Otherwise they all look good to me...

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well warm timing reading I think should have been warm compression reading.. But its understood... The number one is where I would look closer at. You may need a better reading on that cylinder. Otherwise they all look good to me...

1 & 7 both were 430. Napa is getting me another tester. I should be able to get all the warm readings with the new tester sometime next week. With front and back cylinders on the same head I am thinking possible head gasket problems, but they aren't that far off percentage wise to cause a dire reaction. We will see with the warm readings.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I feel your reaching for a bad head gasket. Usually a head gasket blows between cylinders where they have less material around them. But between cylinders there is very little gasket material to dissapate heat. You very well could be on the right track too but its not something I would bet on being bad. When you get the new tester do the number one and 7 before any other cylinders on a warm engine. Then please post what you find...

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update: I haven't been able to do the warm comp test, no time. My days off last week were used for family stuff that came up and had to replace the radiator (Champion ;Sweet). I got off work on wed and found a little puddle of A/F under the front of the truck. Had the radiator, still needed A/F, temp gauge (old aftermarket one had crapped out :dunno), additive, hoses, etc. Got it done, then my back went out ;Really. Oh well, hopefully this Thurs.

the "miss" seems to be getting less pronounced. I have heard that the injectors need a "break in time". Could that be part of it? All I know is it seems to be getting better so I will still check compression when warm just for piece of mind.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Technically there is no "break in time", but each injector is subject to whatever dirt it could pick up during installation, as well as thermal stresses. Usually a new set works wonders, and it's always disappointing to hear when someone has a problem with them. However, such problems do often work themselves out with use, so run it hard and see what happens.

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Technically there is no "break in time", but each injector is subject to whatever dirt it could pick up during installation, as well as thermal stresses. Usually a new set works wonders, and it's always disappointing to hear when someone has a problem with them. However, such problems do often work themselves out with use, so run it hard and see what happens.

Not disappointed at all!!! Very happy with your service. This may be something all together different. I look at it as just getting to know the truck and fixing/updating the old girl. Bought it used, need to get maintenance up to date as you never know who/what work was done and when :dunno. Just takes time and $ (which is not always there LOL)

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, finally got the tester to work. 1st it was the o-ring on the coupler fell out :dunno, Napa swapped the whole tester ;Sweet. Then it was the valve cores in the new tester, they had an old style with springs :)dunno). Manufacturer sent me a package of 6 new style (no springs), worked great ;Sweet.

Here are the warm and cold #'s again:

Cold Warm
1 430 480 X
2 470 490
3 480 500
4 490 490
5 480 500
6 470 490
7 430 490 X
8 490 500

Seems as though 1 and 7 have a bit bigger difference cold/warm. The problem seems less pronounced when it fully warms up, worse when on cold advance, barely noticeable when totally warmed up. I will try to get a video of it tomorrow and post it. Meanwhile, any other input?

I thought about adding Sea Foam to clean things up internally, good/bad idea. Better way to go?

BudLight

Reaction score
Did you retest your cold numbers? If not retest #1 and #7 cold. With the tester problems, I would definitely want to double check the results.
The sea foam wouldn't hurt anything.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Auto RX is a better cleaner than the seafoam.. The RX will clean it slower and no big gobs will fall of and plug any passanger. Do not pour anything to clean the rings or intake thru the air inlet... The engine will feed on the stuff and run away because there is no way to shut down the engine when it runs of fuel poured into the intake. Only cutting off the air at the intake will shut it down. I think you compression is fine. What you might have is a weak lifter that needs running at a faster rpm to work like the others. For about $200.00 you can buy a set of new lifters and a valley pan gasket. Not much to it if there is no turbo in the way..

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you compression is fine. What you might have is a weak lifter that needs running at a faster rpm to work like the others. For about $200.00 you can buy a set of new lifters and a valley pan gasket. Not much to it if there is no turbo in the way..

Thanks about the intake cleaner, thought about it, now I know why it didn't sound like a good idea ;Sweet.

Here are the updated #'s:

Cold Warm
1 440 480 X
2 480 490
3 490 500
4 480 490
5 490 500
6 480 490
7 490 490 X
8 480 500

The only one that's low cold is #1, gets better when warm. I pulled the injector, cleaned the bore really good, put a new washer in, then retested, same # cold. I put the Sea Foam in just to see if it would help. It does clean up when run hard. I had thought lifter, I will probably go that way after I give the Sea Foam a chance to work :sly. Compression is only 12% difference from best to worse, not bad for 191,000 miles :D.

Thanks to all. Still enjoying learning and working on something w/o needing a computer degree :rotflmao:rotflmao

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well Here is an update: No change in the noise after over a month and approx 1,000 miles with the Sea Foam in there. I will do the lifters when I recover from the Gall Bladder surgery today 11:15 PST. Probably 1-2 weeks recovery.

Been having a few minor attacks since July, not a huge issue. Then about a week and a half ago, 5 hours of pure pain in the ER :puke::eek:. No problems since. The family dr. referred to a surgeon, then scheduling, now today slice and dice. Looking forward to not having to think about the low fat diet anymore. I will still eat better, just won't have to think about it acting up anymore!!!! ;Sweet;Sweet

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish you a speedy recovery! My wife went through several really bad gall bladder attacks before she had hers out. It was really hard watching her suffer and not being able to do a thing about it. I would not wish that pain on my worst enemy. Anyway, the surgery was not very invasive as the surgeon went in through her bellybutton and another small incision and basically "sucked" the gall bladder out through the hole! He came out and showed me all the stones after she was out of surgery. No wonder she was in pain. Anyway, get well soon so you can get back to work on that IDI! Todd

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Best wishes for a short recovery, Alan. My former-other-half had the surgery over 20 years ago, when laproscopic was a new thing. Hopefully, you'll be back under the hood of your truck before you know it. :D

My engine still misses, also. Temp gun and loosening injector fittings hasn't given me any clues. Will try the Seafoam, but I may be looking at lifters myself. The tight engine compartment makes it doable in-frame, but ..... :frustrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US

Members online