Engine seems to have a miss

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BTW: any suggestions on a good compression tester? Need something better than HF (heard bad things) but not break the bank

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BTW: any suggestions on a good compression tester? Need something better than HF (heard bad things) but not break the bank
I have a snap-on tester kit, but after my oem service kit walking away and not coming back, nothing is getting loaned out anymore., if you come over the hill on a weekend, you are welcome to work with your truck at my shop. just let me know ahead of time.

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a snap-on tester kit, but after my oem service kit walking away and not coming back, nothing is getting loaned out anymore., if you come over the hill on a weekend, you are welcome to work with your truck at my shop. just let me know ahead of time.

Thanks for the offer, much appreciated. Don't think I can take you up on it though, I do a run Sat morning into Sunday evening.

I might look into the Snapon one.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the offer, much appreciated. Don't think I can take you up on it though, I do a run Sat morning into Sunday evening.

I might look into the Snapon one.
weekday evenings can be done by appointment but it's colder than heck around here these last few days.

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that you're having issues so soon, Alan. I still need to track down and replace my bad injector. Major procrastination!

BTW, anyone know of a source for these copper washers? My injection shop sez they're only available with injectors or return line kits, maybe at the International dealer. Wouldn't mind having a few extra.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that you're having issues so soon, Alan. I still need to track down and replace my bad injector. Major procrastination!

BTW, anyone know of a source for these copper washers? My injection shop sez they're only available with injectors or return line kits, maybe at the International dealer. Wouldn't mind having a few extra.
i have bags of them. i generally use the return line kits to reseal the leaky injector tops and rarely ever have to pull an injector.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I think I've seen various sizes at local parts stores.
Maybe even fastenal. I need to go back there to actually gander at all the stuff they have.
I'm sure you could get them online.
Definitely be good to have some on hand. Especially if you have something with brake lines that use them.

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't it is anything other than still fine tuning my old truck. You know, fix one thing, find another.

I have only had it 4 years. Been slowly getting it better (wasn't bad to start). I am enjoying getting to know it better and using anything I learn to help others.

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I looked at Mel's article and I think I missed something when I installed the injectors cookoo. The injectors had what appeared to be the coper washers already on them when I pulled them out of the box. I assumed (ass-u-me) that these were the ones needed when installing the injectors. But when I looked at the article closer, I noticed that the part where he lets us know to use petroleum jelly on the washer to hold it on it looks like there are 2 washers there.

I think that I made a rookie mistake. :frustrate I needed to put washers on!! I did check the old ones when I removed them, saw what looked like I was putting in. I checked for the old washers in the injector holes and saw none. I am ready to fix this if it is what I think it is.

Question is: did I mess up? :dunno I don't have a problem pulling the injectors to rectify this, but if I did it correct the first time, I have other things to do.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Mels article is a good one. When you remove the injecters from the box they have the copper washer on them but verify is what should be done too. Now removing the old injecters from the engine you need to see the copper washer is on the tip too. again verify this by scratching it or looking very close at it to isure its there. Now this is the big "IF" word... If you left a gasket in the bore and injstalled a new injecter and a gasket on top of that old gasket... Theres a problem. That cylinder will fire diffrantly and may even have a miss because the compression is leaking last the gasket. So please look closely at the removed injecters. See if all the copper gaskets are stuck to the tips. Usually they are so tight they wont easliy come off. I usually need to clamp them in a vice and twist them loose with a pair of channel locks. Even then it tuff work... Another way to know if any gaskets are doubled up is run a straight edge across the top od the injecters or injecter nuts. Only number one injecter nut will be higher because of the timing adapter on it.. Al the others will be the same height. You may have missed a gasket that someone else left behind too. This is why its a good thing to look into each injecter bore in the heads to verify thet gaskets are out.. Because I'm the only person to ever work on me heads I know the gaskets are out because they are on the injecters. I still verify that the bores are clean and nothing like carbon in on the seats. Hopefully this sheds some light on the issues you have and hepls you understand more of the job. Sounds like towcat is making a nice offer to help you out too... thats the kind of guy he is. Its sad to hear someone ran off with his Rotunda special tool kit for these engines. He liked mine so much he aske me to find him one. I did and had it shipped form th seller directly to him. He had no idea what it was when it got there but knew who it was from because mt name had to be on the ashiiping address...:angel::D

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks icanfixall. I followed the article to the letter when I did the install. All the copper washers were on the old injectors. Cleaned the bores before installing the new ones, etc. This is my 1st time doing them on these engines so I am second guessing myself. :rolleyes:

Called Mel this morning before I read your post. It just confirms that I did it right when I installed and that the injectors ship with new washers installed. Need to track down which cyl it is today. Mel said that it could be an injector (He would warranty it if it is ;Sweet :hail). It could also be a compression issue or injector lines. So today is a diagnose then repair as possible day :D

Good thing I have today and tomorrow off. LOL :D

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well its great that Mel is standing up for what he sold you... This doesn't surprise me at all. Hes that kind of guy to do whatever it takes to make it right. Even new injecters can be at fault because of poor quality control at the factory. Rus has found this first hand. He opened up new injecters and founs metal shaving in them... thats a terrible thing to find on a new precision part. So it can happen.. I hope you diagnosis is fruitfull. Just continue to post questions here. This is your first time but you know we all had a first time too. Now we try to help others so they can help others in the future like we were helped in the past... Its how life should be..

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, Checked the injectors as per Mel's instructions (Crack each line open individually when running to see if there is a change). All of them had some reaction to loosing line pressure, some more than others, so, before I relegate any problem to the injectors, I am going to get a compression tester on the cylinders to see if there is a problem in that area. :D

And to add insult to injury, my 3 yr old repaired radiator is leaking from the seams on the bottom tank. :dunno Time to order a Champion before the seam splits or the weather warms to much. Thinking about going to Fleet charge coolant at Tractor Supply. $15 per gallon though (already sca charged) We will see. :D My aftermarket coolant temp gauge went bad so I guess this will be a good time to do it all. ;Sweet

Good thing I really like my truck. :Thumbs Up

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep us updated on what your engine compression is. I would go ahead and check every cylinder for compression while your at it. Check each cylinder when engine is both hot and cold.

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep us updated on what your engine compression is. I would go ahead and check every cylinder for compression while your at it. Check each cylinder when engine is both hot and cold.

That's the plan. I just have to get my hands on a compression tester. Might be next week or later before I can do it right.