EMP

93_E_350

7.3 IDI NA
Reaction score
Even if your engine makes it the vacuum pump will still fail and you'll hit a tree...

bradrob82

Martinsburg Fireman
Reaction score
would the E40D work? I kinda doubt it since it has some electronics to it.. Time for a 4 or 5spd ;Sweet

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL You've got a point their about the glow plug controller. I'd think a good majority of the 6.9 owners are running push bottons anyway, and as you said either engine is only 1 wire away from starting. As for the FSS, if it did go out, you could simply take the top cover off, remove the spring on the FSS, and reassemble. You'd have to take the top cover off to shut it off, or perhaps shut off the fuel some other way, but hey, let's face it. If your confronted with this problem, shutting the truck off is probably not something your going to do anyway! Another option (and this is really ugly, but in a crisis, if this little bit of info would save your life, I'm all for it) is to completely remove the top cover. The truck will run and the pump will work fine without it! You'll have diesel fuel everywhere, and probably get 1 mile to teh gallon, but you can just stick your finger in the pump to shut it off. LOL

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
The engine would still run fine.The E4OD would be screwed.Not to mention your Gauges would most likely not work any more.The Radio would be a paperweight,CB radio gone,Cell phone trash,Trailer brakes history.Just cause your not in DC don't mean your safe.The optimum attack would be to hit spacific targeted areas nation wide and let the winds carry the fall out and kill more people.The explosion is not all that kill people.The dust afterwards will also kill people just much slower and painfully.It is easy to shield any electronics from an EMP.Just line all the wires and boxes with some form of metal shielding.Like Foil.But if there is a gap it is toast.All the EMP actually is,is basically a Giant static spark except it is formed not by rubbing across soemthing but the huge magnetic pulse created from the nuke(Think a Generator.Coil though magnetic field).

CJCJ

chooglin
Reaction score
Would the E4OD run in limp mode or just not shift at all? What about grounding the vehichle when parked and dragging a chain while running? I heard tanker trucks used to do this?? A Faraday cage should do the trick for storing the fss and a sw radio, or anything else for that matter.

An EMP doesn't have to have a nuke on it. A large enough one or multiple small ones could throw the majority of the US back into the 1800's. No electricity and no fuel, water or food to market among other things. Just thinking outloud.......

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
the thing about a straigh EMP bomb is that they haven't made a big enough one to do much damage yet.YET!They are working on it.Current weapons are localized only.maybe a couple miles.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
some body has been watching to much Jericho :rotflmao

what about people, i thought a good enough emp could fry us......

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dunno. I thought it would just make you drool and forget your name for a while. Like Tanya does. -Showtits LOL

spencnaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
EMP only affects high-order electronics and integrated circuits. Why do you think the Soviets stuck with vacuum tubes in their radars and other electronics?

They had the ability to make IC just like the NATO guys did. Vacuum tubes are very resistant to EMP and various electronics today are 'hardened' against EMP.

Since the older IDI are just solenoids, these solenoids are pretty resistant to EMP scattering. The atmosphere absorbs or dissipates much of the initial Compton electrons.

It's all very technical but it basically boils down to distance from either the H-bomb blast or the EMP weapon when it's triggered. EMP weapons are strictly a tactical weapon as they have to be specifically targeted for maximum affect. EMP from a nuclear attack is just icing on the cake.

Check out wikipedia on it, they have a very good article on there about EMP.

As for our trucks, they're resistant against EMP, the heat pulse from a 20 megaton thermonuclear blast is going to be much more detrimental for your health. If you live out in the boonies or in a valley somewhere then you should be well protected against EMP.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
schoolin....

EMP 101?
Lots of really good info here...
Skimming quickly in depth thru these posts I'm convinced I'll be safe with my jumper cables & hidin in the carwash!
But do I hook jumpercables....front bumper to back bumper? Or what??
inquiring minds need to know....:confused:

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
E4OD would still work in reverse and 2nd.

I've thought about this because I am just outside of Cleveland, which has a NASA center with a Ford casting plant and engine plant next door, as well as the IX center which used to be a tank factory. So basically the area has military manufaturing capability, so would be a target for a military attack.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online