EMP

CJCJ

chooglin
Reaction score
I'm involved in a heated debate and was looking for some clarification. Plus it wouldn't hurt to know.....just in case. :D

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
No... The radiation from the blast will kill you. Thats a known fact....

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I say yes, EMP's will blow out circuits and electronics, it cant hurt something like an motor or a solenoid. You might have to manually jump the Glowplugs and Fuel Soleniod to the battery but it will still work. If you survive :)

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
never been through one but wouldent all your power have to be off. if not i think it can fry a solinoid locking it one way or another. (at least it did with war of the worlds with tom cruise, but i dont put much faith in anything he is in)

the fact that your location is fairly far away makes me feel a little better:D :D

FordGuy100

Reaction score
It doesnt make me feel safe ;Really . Its not like some fricking terrorist is going to say, yeah screw DC, lets nuke Oregon cookoo , thems would be some retarted terrorists (not that they already are LOL ).

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Being in the IT industry, I've read a good bit about EMP, as it is considered the weapon of choice for datacenter destruction. There are even military weapons that have been or are being developed to cause EMP damage. EMP is a phenomena that causes silicon based devices to fuse their junctions, thereby causing permenent damage. Basically it kills chips. The Enola Gay managed to fly away, and you can bet there were no chips in that bird. My money says you'll drive away, but your radio might not work anymore.

CJCJ

chooglin
Reaction score
Is this plausible?

Older diesel engine vehicles are more reliable under EMP conditions because they lack the computerized fuel management and ignition systems of modern gasoline engine vehicles. However, that does not mean that an ungrounded diesel vehicle would still start! It would run, but getting current to the glow plugs might well mean the use of a small, easily made jumper cable. Note on the diagram below the controller, sensing resistor, dropping resistor, thermo switch, relays, etc, all between the battery and the glow plugs. All those susceptible components can be bypassed by using a jumper cable from the positive terminal on the battery to the glow plug buss.

A jumper cable between the positive terminal on the battery and the glow plug buss (see arrow) will heat the glow plugs when the engine is cold. The hood is opened, the jumper cable attached, run back inside the vehicle and start the engine, then run back and yank off the jumper cable. Bingo, your diesel engine will start and run!
You will want to be pretty quick when using the jumper cable. Each glow plug draws about 12 amps, so a 4 cylinder engine is drawing almost 50 amps through that 10 gauge jumper wire. Once the engine is running, you will want to pull off the jumper cable as fast as you can. As long as the engine is warm, it will start without the use of the jumper cable and glow plugs. The radio and some other electrical devices would not work, but the vehicle would run!

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've also thought about this.

My suspicion is that the FSS solenoid would be fried. But all you would need to do is make the FSS stay open mechanically.

Glow plugs are not necessary, but enough people to push start the truck are.

poolguy

Slippery when wet
Reaction score
Being in the IT industry, I've read a good bit about EMP, as it is considered the weapon of choice for datacenter destruction. There are even military weapons that have been or are being developed to cause EMP damage. EMP is a phenomena that causes silicon based devices to fuse their junctions, thereby causing permenent damage. Basically it kills chips. The Enola Gay managed to fly away, and you can bet there were no chips in that bird. My money says you'll drive away, but your radio might not work anymore.

Screw it!!!
If the damn radio won't work,(this probobly means the CD player too) then I'd just rather walk. :eek:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Just make sure that you keep a spare fuel shutoff solenoid and glow plug controller in a handy led lined bag and you'll be good to go.

----------Robert