Electrical issues

My 90 oil burner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know where to get the connector for the glow plug harness to main harness on the right side of the engine? Mine is burnt up and needs replacing.
Or can i just eliminate the connector and splice them together?

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LMC Trucks is pretty good for that kinda stuff. I am not finding Diesel Parts there. Check them out lmctrucks.com

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Mine melted at the power to the glow plug controller.So I ran a direct line from controller to the fender mounted solenoid. I removed the two yellow feed lines that are the way ford engineers ran power to the controller. Two lines are cheaper than one large line in the electrical industry. I used 6 gauge speaker wire purchased from an car stereo shop with heavy lugs to fit both ends.

My 90 oil burner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine melted at the power to the glow plug controller.So I ran a direct line from controller to the fender mounted solenoid. I removed the two yellow feed lines that are the way ford engineers ran power to the controller. Two lines are cheaper than one large line in the electrical industry. I used 6 gauge speaker wire purchased from an car stereo shop with heavy lugs to fit both ends.

Would you mind taking a picture for me please?

gandalf

Reaction score
I did much the same as Gary (post #3 above), but differently, on my '92 CCLB Dually. On mine the connector is on the driver's side. It melted such that it would not pass current to the glow plug controller, but did not damage any other wires. I cut and capped those yellow cables, and installed a single large cable from the starter solenoid. It works well. Be sure there is no other damage to nearby wires.

You must be registered for see images attach

My 90 oil burner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah since Im replacing the cab and while waiting on it I am replacing all the electrical as well as cleaning up and repairing all the bad wiring job that was done to her in the past

Guffey6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I literally just had this problem. i just spliced around the connector. works fine now

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I did much the same as Gary (post #3 above), but differently, on my '92 CCLB Dually. On mine the connector is on the driver's side. It melted such that it would not pass current to the glow plug controller, but did not damage any other wires. I cut and capped those yellow cables, and installed a single large cable from the starter solenoid. It works well. Be sure there is no other damage to nearby wires.
I did just this exact thing to my engine harness connector. Those two yellow wires are "made as one" by the cheap ass engineers at Ford. Both ends have both wires in the same connector at the solenoid and controller studs. The only real reason our trucks have this multi wire engine harness plug is to make engine removal as simple as removing the plug connection. then the harness stays in place on the engine when taking it out of the truck.

Fixnstuff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know where to get the connector for the glow plug harness to main harness on the right side of the engine? Mine is burnt up and needs replacing.
Or can i just eliminate the connector and splice them together?

I've worked on repairing 2 different harnesses out of 2 different trucks to try to make one good one so I can give you some tips.

For the best repair and the right way to do it you want to have a full harness disconnect at that plug location: The purpose of that main connector is in case you need to remove the engine or disconnect all power to the engine (usually that is power to the glow plugs in case you need to have the key "ON" or "RUN" position while doing other electrical work on the truck)

However you will NOT find a plug anywhere to replace the original and if you do it will be a huge plug to accommodate the current of the glow plug power wires and the other connectors in the plug will be way over rated and too large for the 7 small wires. Thus it would be a very large 8 pin connector and the only ones I was able to find had built in circuit breakers.

Therefore the best solution to repair or build a new harness and have a functional disconnect is to use one 6 pin connector for the smaller wires and TWO separate connectors for the 2 GP power wires. USE EXACTLY THE SAME WIRE SPECIFICATION AS THE ORIGINAL POWER WIRES! The SAME GAUGE, the SAME NUMBER OF COPPER WIRE STRANDS the SAME INSULATION CODE! They are the perfect wires for this application and more than adequate to handle the current demand.

Using the correct wire with the same number of strands is important. The SAME is true for the wires that go to the Glow Plug Connectors. That has to do with the way that current flows through multiple strand electrical wires and a wire with a higher number of smaller strands yet having the same current rating has different properties, related to the higher resistance in the smaller wire strands.

The reason for the TWO power wires has nothing to do with "expense" as someone suggested - that's just not true. It has to do with being able to put the gp power supply wires into a SINGLE main harness plug. Otherwise it would require an additional huge plug if only a single gp power wire was used. What happens to cause that plug to fail is that eventually those two pin connections are no longer able to make full contact and they start to arc, creating a lot of heat that burns up the nylon connector around those pin connections.

I spent many hours days on end researching this and looking though thousands of connectors
but ultimately I needed to get the truck running so I skipped getting new connectors. I just repaired other parts of the harnesses and used the typical bypass of the plug as shown here in my original harness. I recommend using a crimper capable of A LOT OF LEVERAGE, not one of those skinny wire stripping/ crimping pliers. O'Riellys, Schucks, Kraegen etc. has one by Dorman for about $18. The crimpers are at the working end of the long pliers:

Now to the ring terminals on the gp power wires. I highly recommend NOT using those cheap plastic insulated ring terminals that you find hanging on racks in auto parts stores!
Use only high quality ring terminals like the one I show in the following repair. The one I am using here I got from BEHIND THE COUNTER at NAPA Auto Parts. (You need to ask at he counter explaining what you need) The SIZE of the ring is 5/16ths inch and here I am using 5/16ths x 6 Gauge because I am going over the original connector crimp. For bare wires you would use a smaller gauge like 8 or 10 ga.

Unless you can find heavy duty thick shrink wrap, you can use liquid electrical Tape to insulate the connector when finished. I would recommend the Permatex Brand if you can find it. I bought the Star Brite brand at Lowes Hardware and I used about 5 thick coats to be as good as the original thick shrink wrap. I crimped the connector using a 5 inch vise.

I used a Benzomatic Micro-Butane torch (purchased at Lowes Hardware - I LOVE THIS TOOL for remote soldering work on my truck- no electricity required and it has an attachment to use for soldering small wires & connections which will not have an exposed open flame from the torch) with paste flux and soft solder for electronics work to do the soldering.

The Aluminum foil was wrapped tightly around the area below the soldering to help conduct heat away and protect the wire insulation from getting too hot. Afterwards I filed down that lump of melted solder coated the whole repair area including the yellow wires with liquid electrical tape to match the original shrink wrap. (not on the ring though)

Fixnstuff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Notice in my second 'repair' photo, the difference in the thickness of the new ring terminal compared to the old original ring terminal which eventually broke. That old broken one is probably similar in thickness to the cheap plastic insulated crimp connectors hanging on racks in parts stores. ALSO notice the high quality of the original factory crimp onto the wires. You won't get that from cheap crimp on ring connectors. That's why I left i on there and used solder fol the connection. It is also why I prefer to solder connections on bigger wires that need to handle more current.

As for the connector bypass splices in the first picture. To duplicate those splices, I used the best Nylon crimp connectors that I could obtain locally. There ARE such connectors that have liquid solder inside them and I would highly recommend using those in this application or wherever you can use them IF you can find them. I'll probably order a bunch of those online to have on hand. One place I would use them is the connections on my Towing harness to the trailer plugs for good weather light wire connections. I had a real mess of wires back there for 5 different trailer plugs that have been on it since it was new. I am replacing all of it with a new 7-way/5-way/4-way combination RV connector plug and a separate 5 way plug connector.

Fixnstuff

Full Access Member
Reaction score

As I have tried show, the problem is NOT the wires, the problem is the plug! The wires in your photo were still good and perfectly selected by Ford engineers for this application. For anyone else faced with this melted connector problem, all you have to do is cut the wires on each side of the plug, as shown in the photo I posted earlier and splice them together, bypassing the plug.

I just took an extra harness out of a box and counted the number of conductors (Strands) in the yellow wire. It is 18 strands (18 conductors). The Black wire with Brown Stripe on the starter relay side of the main harness connector should be THE SAME. Each run of those wires has a 14 GA Fusible Link on the Black/Brown wires side of the connector to protect all of those gp power wires (both sides of the connector plug) from burning though in the event of a current overload condition. Those 14 GA fusible links are rated for about 50 AMPS Each. There is no way those wires will burn out or be damaged (except at the pins of the connector) unless someone has cut one or both of the fuse links out of those 2 power wire runs and the wires have no fuse links to protect them.

In other words those power wires are just fine, just cut them off on each side of the Nylon connector and splice them together to bypass the connector.

Also consider that the insulation specification on the original power wires is for resistance to high temperatures, oil, fuel and solvents for applications that are very close to engine heat and in engine compartments.

All of those letters and numbers printed on insulated wires means something and sometimes it means something very important. There is a lot more to it than just "bigger wire is better"

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I have this to address also, but I seem to have a problem a bit different that whet most seem to have....

My plug seems to still be in decent shape:

My issue is the insulation is missing from the wire, not the plug:

However, this and most of the rest of the electrical is going to get looked over/replaced as there are several issues in the factory wiring. The IP is in a switch, and the glow plug controller is MIA..... so these aren't doing anything, thankfully...... but this is on the to-do lost for the summer, along with several other little things........ right now it doesn't have any function glow plug system, and the switches for the IP and the starter (the pot metal POS broke in the column over the winter) need to be implemented much better. The truck sits with the batteries unhooked unless I have it running to move it. It doesn't leave the neighborhood at the moment......