EGT Behavior.

thx997303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So whenever I search EGTs, I get a bunch of discussions on what is considered max, sometimes including cruising EGTs. This is useful information, but I would like to know something different.

What happens to your EGTs when you pin it to the floor from a stop? What are your EGTs by the time you hit 35 mph?

Right now, I can hit 1000* by the time I hit 35 mph with my wastegate tied closed (testing purposes, not permanent).

I think I need to back the fuel off .5 to 1 flat personally. I haven't managed to test it towing yet.

Otherwise, mine stay between 450* and 700* cruising at 65 up and down some small hills.

And normally, they sit at around 200* idling.

So, I feel like this slightly more detailed information regarding EGTs in these trucks may be helpful for general noobs like myself. What kind of detailed information do you guys have?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
550 to 650 is a good rule of thumb for flat and level cruising. 1250 max (some will tickle 1300-1400 for brief amounts of time but I won't) and 1100 sustained max are good rules of thumb. A Bull Moose Pump will put you well above 1250 if you just floor it from a stand still and hold it there. Remember that your flame temp is always whatever it is instantly, but that the surrounding metal takes a lot of the heat out of the gasses, and as the engine absorbs more, it's ability to reduce the temp diminishes.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Those temps seem super high to me for going WOT from a stop 35. If you are blacking out the sun then you need major help in the air department. if you are not blacking out the sun then i would suspect your pyro is not accurate at all. I would venture to guess your pyro is off.....think about it....what would your egt's be at if you kept in it till 65-70? you would be over 2,000*F. I have never watched me EGT's on a run like you describe for two reasons....i doubt the accuracy of my pyro and i usually watch my "lack of performance gauge(LOL)".....aka boost gauge.

thx997303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, not blacking out the sun. There's some decent smoke, but not anything like you would see from modified cummins or powerstrokes. You know, the coal rolling crowd.

I can leave a nice haze trail, but that's it.

And side note, my probe is in the crossover pipe just beneath where the manifold attaches on the driver's side.

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds normal to me. My probe is also mounted in the crossover per ATS' s instructions. Your foot on the pedal is ultimately what controls EGT.

When towing I will pin the throttle to light the turbo and then back off until I can maintain 1150-1200*f.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Yeah but guys.....he is hitting 1k deg by 35mph at wot from a dead stop. Heavily fueled 6.0 and 6.4's don't even do that. How do you even get on the expressway with temps like that. Really feel your gauge or probe is bad. Unless of course u have some super duper ip u are not telling us about lol

thx997303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kent moore j3300A I believe.

I don't have to go WOT to get on the freeway. About 1/3rd to half throttle and I"m up to speed by the time I'm at the end of the ramp. Between 600 and 800 degree EGTs by the time I'm up to speed depending on how fast I want to get there.

And nope, my IP is likely nothing special. I think it's painted the same color as the engine, which is 66k miles old. Engine came from Dealer's diesel.

I'm in between whether I should turn the pump down a half flat and test it or not. I'd like to see what it does with a good load now, but I have nothing that needs towing.

thx997303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe, I don't know. This is my first IDI. Wish more people would contribute to this thread.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Whats your elevation? It does play a role in this, as the only time I have seen over 1100* is when I was going up over a grade at around 4000' in Oregon, trying to keep up with a buddy in front of me. At sea level, I had a hard time getting over 1000*

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
So Im intercooled so its apples to oranges but Ill hit 900-950 on a 0-40 run but it stabilizes there for the most part (before intercooler I could hit 1300+ just maintaining speed limit going over the rockies...empty)

thx997303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
0-35 it will hit about 950 and slow down considerably, but will continue to climb. I've always let off by 1100 and usually 1050.

Sounds like an intercooler really helps with EGTs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bob123456789

Members online