E4OD Behavior

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
Hey all. I have been noticing some odd behavior from my E4OD in my 94 F-Superduty.

Transmission shifts great smooth but solid all the way up to 4th gear. Heres where the odd behavior starts. If I press the throttle fairly hard, say accelerating on the highway to pass a slow driver, it seems to upshift, as in, it feels as though it just shifted into a 5th gear.

In the same situation, if I am accelerating in 4th and I let off the throttle, it feels like it downshifts, RPM increases noticeably. Seems backwards to me.

When I first got the truck it would sporadically slip into limp mode reporting throttle position out of range and fluid temperature too low. I drained the fluid, installed a new filter housing, and cycled 2 rounds of cheap ATF thru it followed by a fill of wolf synthetic ATF. I noticed that the TPS was maxed out on it's adjustment bracket and the voltage reading from it was off considerably (I dont remember what it had measured, just that it was swung way out). Installed new TPS and adjusted it to within voltage spec but didnt like how early it would shift 1st-2nd so I tweaked the voltage slightly so it revs a tad bit higher before shifting to help me out when hauling a heavy firewood load.

Truck now drives great, shifts are crisp and fast. 1st-2nd feels a little hard but figured thats because I have the TPS adjusted to shift a little higher.

Transmission has a rebuild tag dated 2014, torque converter appears to be an ATS unit installed in 2014 but the letters are sort of rubbed off of it and I didnt feel like pulling the whole TQ out to confirm.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
The 5th gear feeling is the TC locking. The go peddle isn't slammed to the floor, you will get this response.

When setting the TPS. Set it to spec first. Then test drive. You will end up resetting it, because the factory TCM tuning sucks.LOL

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember reading some comments from a ford transmission tech on fordtrucks.com years ago. He said that the factory E4OD controller will automatically lock the torque converter when you press the pedal all the way to the floor (likely not in 1st gear!). The idea being that the transmission will kick down anyway to give more engine RPM but also lock up the converter to control heat in the transmission.

I was never able to independently verify this theory but the guy seemed to know his stuff. If the TPS (FILP) is telling the controller that your foot is on the floor, and the engine RPM is already too high to allow a kickdown...maybe the controller is locking the converter?

Just a theory. In any case, it sounds like it's working well after swapping the sensor.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FordLTDiesel

Members online