e4od shift upgrades

Black dawg

Reaction score
I just got the turbo on and would like a firmer shift, Trans has less than 20K on it and is in good shape. What all have you guys done to your e4od, and did you like it or not.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I used the Banks Transcommand - worked pretty well for me. It came with my banks turbo system - I held off a couple days to install the transcommand to see the effects it brought to the table - it firmed up my shifts and held them out a little longer - both nice effects to compliment the added power of the turbo.

Now as mentioned coolers - yep you're gonna need some extra cooling and filtration - My motto is a Cool, Clean and changed often fluid is a happy fluid. With the E4OD being the weak link in these IDI's I can say without batting an eye that I never killed one no matter how hard I tried, now engines... that's a different story... But I also never shut the truck down with the trans hot and always let her shift into gear before pouring the coals to her, I would also back off the go pedal a little when a shift was happening - no need in having it slip more than it needed to - helps keep the heat down.

Black dawg

Reaction score
what kind of install with the pressure riser? also what are the settings and how much do the shifts change. does this pressure riser affect shift points. or lockup. Has anyone tried the sonnax valve that is sold for these things. thanks.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Black dawg said:
what kind of install with the pressure riser? also what are the settings and how much do the shifts change. does this pressure riser affect shift points. or lockup. Has anyone tried the sonnax valve that is sold for these things. thanks.

Install is running the cable through the firewall and splicing into 2 wires into the trans harness. 10 - 30 minutes depending. It doesn't change anything but the line pressure which firms and shortens shifts. Shift points can be adjusted somewhat with the FIPL.

There are 3 settings plus "off" or stock. I normally run on the first setting, while towing I run in the second setting. The third setting is for racing only and gives very high pressure and harder shifts than you would normally want.

I would not to be without my Pressure Risers or some other means of firming shifts in my trucks.

FULL FORCE

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They come with those Scotch Quick-Taps. The last one I installed, I cut the wires in the trans harness, and used shrink tubing type butt connectors to run everything together. I felt that was more secure and better to prevent corrosion thatn using the Quick-Taps.

bikepilot

Turbo IDI
Reaction score
I have a transcomander. I can't honestly tell that its doing anything, but I haven't had a code 62 since installing it and I used to set them semi-frequently so I suppose it has increased line pressure slightly.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
snatchal said:
What color were those 2 wires ?

White with black tracer and Yellow with green tracer on my van (may not be the same on all trucks).

With the "push" side of the connector towards you, they are the row closest to you, and the first and second wires on the left.

These devices shouldn't cause any codes to be set, all they do is increase the voltage to the line pressure solenoid to fool the trans into thinking the load is higher than it really is. The voltages and pressures shouldn't go any higher than the regular pressure range (just higher pressure for a given load).

I believe the Banks TransCommand increases line pressure the same way, it's just "computerized" so you don't have to turn a switch when you hook up a trailer etc. I personally prefer a manual control because you can get closer to "exactly" the way you want it to shift by using the different settings.