E40D puking fluid

BKahler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just finished a 600 mile tow pulling about a 7000 on trailer through central Ky on up to Richmond. The final 800 feet was in reverse backing down our driveway.

With about 100 feet to I started smelling hot/burnt oil. Stopped the truck and found a trail of oil about 100 feet long.

Looked underneath and the area around the torque converter was a wet and fluid was dripping out of a tube one the bottom of the tranny. Let it cool down for a few hours and finished backing the 100 feet.

So what have I done to the transmission? The last thing I need right now is to have have it pulled to fix.

Thanks,

Brad

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
Hey Brad.. Others will chime in, but I believe that your tranny over-heated. I've heard of them puking fluid when they get too hot. If your tranny is ok, I would seriously suggest that you get another tranny cooler on that truck ASAP.

Gary

BKahler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Tomorrow I'll top off the fluid and take it down to the local shop and have it flushed and changed.

Any suggestions on what oil cooler to get and where to mount it? This for the F350.

Thanks,

Brad

pafixitman

Reaction score
IIRC, the E4OD does not circulate fluid in reverse ... either at all or not like it does in forward gears ... like others said...flush and fill...add the biggest plate style cooler in line with the factory bottom of rad unit. mine are mounted in front of rad behind the grill. For the gauge I used the test port above the pan on the driver side. Also get a late model SD 4X4 pan. It holds an extra quart and half and includes a plug. Mine was $35 from the dealer...bolt on deal.

BKahler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip on the oil pan, I'll see if I can scare one up.

I'm not at home at the moment so I can't check for myself but isn't there a factory cooler in front of the radiator along with the one internal to the radiator?

About half of our 800 foot driveway is uphill and that's where the over heating occurred. So I guess the over heating makes sense. Just hope I didn't do any damage to the transmission.

Thanks,

Brad

sassyrel

Reaction score
you want the cooler off a 99 or later 7.3, or v10--MUCH better than the one you have now--or the even later 6.0 cooler---been there---

sootman73

Reaction score
yea i overheated mine one day out playing in the snow. puked fluid all over too. less than a week later my TC exploded. it ran fine for a couple days. then i was at wendys at the drive thru and i could hear a strange ticking sound against the wall. put it in neutral and it went away. then i drove about 5-10 miles and it started locking up really really early. went to a friends house and then on my way home i went to stop at a stop sign and the thing kept trying to lockup at a standstill. started going again and bout as soon as i made my turn and pushed the throttle it locked hard! i stopped and pulled it out of gear. then went to put it back into gear and prob the worst sound i could ever hear came from the TC!

i pulled the tranny and the TC sounded like a pop bottle full of nuts and bolts when i shook it. new TC was all i needed. ran fine for about 9 months then it burnt up. so just be ready for something like that...

i got a new cooler when i had mine rebuilt. rated for a 30,000 pound vehicle!:thumbsup:

sassyrel

Reaction score
i overheated mine twice before i put the bigger cooler on---and ive pulled some hell loads since--no problems--and this on a high mile trans--

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Being a tranny guy I dont recommend flushing, have the pan dropped and the filter changed and the convertor drained. I have seen too many stop working after "flushing" .
I may be old school but I dont believe the marketing of this method, too many ways to break loose the crap.
All you need to know can be found out by dropping the pan.

sassyrel

Reaction score
the trans was replaced at 153,000. it now has 322,8?? on the truck. and i havent changed the fluid either--still nice and red--and no burnt smell-----

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Being a tranny guy I dont recommend flushing, have the pan dropped and the filter changed and the convertor drained. I have seen too many stop working after "flushing" .
I may be old school but I dont believe the marketing of this method, too many ways to break loose the crap.
All you need to know can be found out by dropping the pan.

X 2.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Your overheating was caused by the backing up.. When you are in reverse the torque converter is unlocked and slipping. This causes lots of heat. Its easiest to drop the pan and have a look as Typ4 (russ) posted. You will know what possible damage may have been done. Just drain the trans and converter. Don't let the shop tell you the "flushing" is the best thing to do.... The oil change shops around here try to get people to flush the motors when you drive in for an oil change... They show you how dark and dirty your oil is and tell you thats ruining your motor... Nice try but oil gets dirty because of the detergants in it. The detergants hold the dirt so the filter can take it out. What can't be filtered out because its too small is held in suspension till the oil change.....