E40D puking fluid

sootman73

Reaction score
you are aupposed to allow two - three hundred miles for break in of the new clutches before towing. i was told to drive it very easy for that distance then it was okay to drive harder.

solenoid pack was a good price.
and the update is a plug at the shifter linkage. changes the plug style i guess. they did it to mine also.

obviously this is a stock rebuild. hopefully it will hold up with the loads you are towing.:dunno

itn

Reaction score
good price on your rebuild. mine was $2500. heavy duty torque convertor installed with 1 year warranty. I also put in a b&m flat plate cooler i got from summit. 14 months and i haven't noticed any tranny fluid leaking out the front seal.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
an extra cooler will help towing but won't do much for your reverse temps the best thing you could do if at all possible is to let it sit and cool off after getting off the highway before you try backing it up that much. The next thing which I might have missed it if somebody else already mentioned it but you should get a tranny temp gauge installed that way you can stop whatever your doing before you toast it again

BKahler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
an extra cooler will help towing but won't do much for your reverse temps the best thing you could do if at all possible is to let it sit and cool off after getting off the highway before you try backing it up that much. The next thing which I might have missed it if somebody else already mentioned it but you should get a tranny temp gauge installed that way you can stop whatever your doing before you toast it again

Aric,

I wish I had known that the transmission didn't pump through the cooler in reverse. You might say it cost me dearly to learn that lesson :eek:.

From now on I'm definitely going to let it cool down before backing a load up in reverse. I will be installing a temp gauge when I install the inline filter. Hope to have it done the week after next.

Live and learn.

Brad

BKahler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you are aupposed to allow two - three hundred miles for break in of the new clutches before towing. i was told to drive it very easy for that distance then it was okay to drive harder.

Prior to leaving the shop with the Mazda in tow I asked them if this would be a problem and the guy told me that the clutches needed to bed in a little bit but that would be taken care of towing the Mazda home. Total distance was about 9 miles so hopefully it won't be an issue. Tomorrow I'm leaving on a 500 milel trip running empty with no trailer so that should take care of the rest (if any) of the break in that it needs.

obviously this is a stock rebuild. hopefully it will hold up with the loads you are towing.:dunno
Yep, its stock. After these next 5 or 6 trips the truck will mostly sit so it was hard to justify the additional cost. Probably not the smartest move but you do what you can with what you have to work with.

Thanks!

Brad

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't understand how the transmission would not have cooling flow when in reverse. The fluid pump is attached to the torque converter so as long as the engine is running, the fluid is flowing.

Can some one explain to me?

sootman73

Reaction score
ya that will probably take care of the break in before you haul those cars.

i have the same question as david85. that is my understanding too. with out pump there would be no line pressure as well? whats to keep clutch pressure?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

That's what could happen when the tranny run's out or real low on fluid and run's HOT
I think you are foolish not to put that extra cooler on before pulling that GN trailer loaded like that. Might be another $1200 or more.:puke:

Yes the pump does circulate the fluid thru the radiator, wether it's running forward or reverse. But backing up that far, especially uphill put's one hell of a load on the transmission. Since you are running at low speed, you are not circulating very much fluid thru the cooler.

Good luck. :dunno Check my other tranny pic's also.

sootman73

Reaction score
i did that same thing but thats not from overheating. that from improper installation of the TC. when those slots aren't aligned right in the pump it will create an immense force on the pump. it will turn it for a while but then will slip and cause that exactly.

i agree with putting the cooler on before you go on that long haul tow.

i would think that the higher rpms from a low reverse gear would pump more fluid? i back up rather quickly and usually have the rpms up pretty high. im sure it would def not be an issue if you were in low range?

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the reverse gear in the E4OD is relatively tall, so most of the "gearing" that you get when pushing something heavy in reverse comes from the torque converter. That means a lot of heat even if everything is working properly. I have 3.08 gears, but I also have a transfer case that I use if I am really loaded and have to push past a curb or steep hill. I don't know why ford decided that you have to be able to do 30 MPH in reverse. I would much rather have a granny gear reverse.

I would join with others and suggest a huge tranny cooler and put a temp gauge in there while you are at it. I actually run 2 coolers in mine. Not the best solution, but it works (in truth, the truck came with them).

BKahler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When its too good to be true it usually is.

A week ago Monday I got the truck back from Madison Transmission in Richmond Ky and on Wednesday night I headed to Missouri to pick up a 24' gooseneck trailer that we had recently purchased in Moberly Mo. I got about 419 miles and decided to stop for the night. The transmission shifts weren't quite what I was expecting but were better than they had been before taking in for repair. Next morning I headed out and was traveling along I-70 heading up a mild grade when the transmission kicked out of OD down to 3rd. Stayed that way for about 3 seconds and then shifted back into OD. That didn't seem right since I was running unloaded and no trailer. Then I noticed the OD Off light flashing on the shift lever. Uh Oh, this isn't good although the transmission stayed in OD for the rest of the distance on I-70. Once I got into Columbia I noticed that the shifts from 1st-2nd, 2nd-3rd were very harsh and the shift wouldn't take place until I let up on the pedal.

Since I was on a time schedule to pick up the trailer I went ahead and drove to Moberly (36 miles) and picked up the trailer. While talking to the seller he said there was a good transmission shop in town and led me to their shop with me pulling the trailer behind my truck. I ended up using the shift lever to shift gears while driving to the transmission shop. Once there the shop agreed to do a test drive and give me a quick diagnosis. The word I got back from them is they wanted to pull the pan and look inside the transmission to see if there was any metal bits. Since my warranty was for the transmission "only" be fixed at the shop in Kentucky I called them and explained what was going on. They reluctantly agreed to let the Moberly shop pull the pan for a look see.

The pan ended up being full of metal chunks, metal dust and brass dust. They informed me the transmission should be pulled for a look at the insides. I then called back the Kentucky transmission shop and he was really hesitant about having someone else pull the transmission. When I explained repeatedly that I couldn't drive home with the transmission the way it was he finally relented and said to have them pull it apart to see what was wrong. At no time would he commit to any refunds, etc.

It wasn't until the Moberly shop started pulling the transmission apart that I really started to get mad. Every part removed was old and worn. There were NO new parts in the transmission at all. The torque converter was obviously a used one that had been repainted to look new. The paint was coming off in sheets due to poor prep work before painting. The clutch disks inside were all severely burned. The oil still smelled burnt. The electrical connector on the solenoid pack was old, cracked and had dirt that had been painted silver. There were NO updated parts in it at all. As a matter of fact some of the parts dated back to 88-89 and were only used in those years before being upgraded by Ford. I got pictures of all this while they were dismantling the transmission. They were gracious enough to let me stand there and watch so I knew exactly what was done by the Kentucky shop. Needless to say they told me I was royally screwed by the shop in Kentucky.

Fortunately for me the Moberly shop (C&R Transmissions) turned out to be a first class operation with great people doing the work. Since I was stranded there they let me wander around their shop, watch what they were doing and just in general made me feel at home. They are a family operation with two sons (Charlie & Randy) running the shop with their father (Wayne) providing support in various capacities. Truly wonderful people.

Now for the gory details. C&R explained to me what they felt should be done and why each thing should be done. They started work on the truck about 3:45pm on Thursday. By 5:10pm on Friday I was out the door and hooking up to my trailer. The total bill for doing all the updates to the transmission, removal and installation, rebuild labor and installing a new oil cooler in place of the one on the truck was $2550. I was pleasantly surprised by this price especially since it included so many update parts.

So I headed out of Moberly and back home. Unfortunately I got about 25 miles and while going up a slight grade I felt a jolt and the transmission popped down to what I thought was 3rd gear. I rounded the crest of the hill and pulled over to evaluate the situation. I decided to head back to Moberly to see if I could get them to check things out. It wasn't until I pulled over on the shoulder and then tried to go forward again when I found the truck wouldn't move. I couldn't go forward or reverse. So I had the towing company haul me and the trailer back to C&R. I managed to track down Wayne and he told me he would have Randy check things out 1st thing Saturday morning.

To make a long story a little shorter what Randy found was the input shaft had snapped. It turns out this was the only component they hadn't upgraded. Their reasoning at the time was that it was a somewhat costly part and they had never really had much trouble with the older input shafts in the past. So they felt comfortable not installing that part. I can't argue with their reasoning and still feel they made the right decision. They didn't come out and tell me specifically what the shaft would have cost but I got the impression the shaft and associated parts would have been around $400 or so.

In the end Randy had the transmission out, repaired and reinstalled in the truck by 4:50pm Saturday. Even with this happening I still feel that C&R is a top notch operation that I would recommend to anyone. There was no charge for any of the parts or work performed on Saturday. I couldn't have asked for anything more.

Bottom line is I would NOT recommend Madison Transmission in Richmond KY to anyone. They are crooks plain and simple. I am in negotiations with Madison Transmissions right now to get my money back and for them to pay for 2 nights motel bills. I explained to them exactly what was found in the transmission, and told them I had pictures and a statement from the other shop. They have agreed to reimburse me and I'm supposed to pick up a check today. We'll see how that works out.

I did ask C&R that if Madison Transmissions had done the work they said they did I would I have been ok. They said probably so. They felt the input shaft snapped because of the increased torque coming from the new heavy duty torque converter they installed. In the long run I probably would have had more issues with a rebuild done like Madision Transmissions was supposed to have done but thats a different issue.

Future plans call for the addition of one more oil cooler and the installation of a Derale inline spin on filter. Hopefully both will be done before my next trip.

Brad

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
That story really makes me sick but really mad at some poor workmanship along with bad business. But on the bright side you have found a good shop that seems to know what they are doing. I really hope the "check is in the mail" isn't just lip service. Tuff lesson learned too. I really dought anybody could have seem this comming. Its just a tuff way to find out who the crooks are. Thanks for the sharing....

sootman73

Reaction score
im really sorry to hear of all the troubles you had. it sounds like you found a place that consisted of people of good values. thats by far the most important thing that i've found when going to a shop. especially for you to have such good treatment from a shop you have never been before and were foreign to the location. seems kinda high of a price for the work but they did do it fast as compared to my rebuild work. but then again i did all the work other than gutting and putting together the tranny. even replaced the TC in their shop with some of their help.

this place sounds trustworthy as they didn't make you pay anything for everything done on saturday!

BKahler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update:

Yesterday Madison Transmission said they would refund the rebuild cost and pay for two nights motel and to stop by and get a check. Well when my wife stopped by to get the check he changed his mind and didn't want to refund any money. He wanted the parts before the check was cashed and thats when things really went downhill. I ended up having to take time off from work to go over there and talk to him with no luck. He still contends he rebuilt it. I even had him talk to the guys at C&R and he wouldn't budge from his story.

Next step is we're going to get organized and get ready for a court case.

Stay tuned......................