E-fuel

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I installed one of the kits mark fugazzotto makes. Basically pre and post filters with the stock SD pump, the the regulator block.
Anyways was working fine for about 10 miles, then keeps pulling air. I can fill both filters, then it'll run for a bit, then repeat. When I pull the pre-pump filter, it'll be basically empty. All fittings are tight.
Running the factory selector valve. Had no problems previous to the E-fuel.
What I'm sorta wandering is, I don't have the in tank strainers anymore. They broke off so I replaced them with hose with tees at the bottom so it won't suck to the tank. Now could not having the strainers cause it suck up the foamy return fuel, therefore not drawing enough fuel to keep the filters full? Or am I way off?
Tomorrow I'm going to pull the outlet line off and see if it'll just pump into a bucket.
I can link the efuel setup, if needed.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ive never noticed a regulator on my SD, and ive been deep into it.
is the regulator adjustable?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
This is aftermarket, but utilizes the factory fpr.
Being yours is the deadhead design, I don't think you have one. If you do, it's in the fuel filter housing.

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a thought, are you sure your pump is in the fuel line and not the return line? If your pick up is at the bottom of the tank, I would think it would pull enough fuel. It could be an issue near empty I suppose.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Yes. Lol
First time I had it in the return line. Both lines coming out of the selector valve are the same size, so I had to take a guess.
But it wouldn't run at all like that, because the fuel pressure regulator would be a brick wall.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can link the efuel setup, if needed

Yeah, do that, I'd like to know what it is. Sounds like the cam operated FP is eliminated and you go to an electric pump.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could teach him a lesson on pushing hoses on fittings when clamping female fitting in a vise, ALWAYS thread a male fitting into the female, keeps from distorting the female. No *** pun intended. ;Really:D

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Lol well I swapped the filter head around so now they have the correct flow.
But it's still doing it. Can fill the prefilter, start it, then it'll run about 5-10 minutes and die like it ran out of fuel. Prefilter will be empty.

Only thing left I can think of is to bypass the selector valve.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Bypassed the selector valve. So far, so good. No road test yet, but I idled it for about 30 Minutes and it was smooth the whole time.
I may try replacing the quick connects orings.
Looking at a few alternative options also. 1 fix connections/selector valve. 2 maybe delete selector valve and go to something else. 3 leave front tank plumbed hard, and use rear as a aux tank and utilize a pump to fill front tank. 4 go to a larger single tank. I think I like number 4 best, as when I try to top off the rear tank, it leaks out the top somewhere. And I think the float was getting screwy. But I may be limited as it's a cab & chassis.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where is the pump mounted?the pumps are pushers not pullers.it needs to be on the frame as close to the tank or switch valve as possible.

They will also suck air from anywhere.how are the orings in the connectors on the fuel lines from tank to switch valve?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
So now finally digging back into this, as I'd like to utilize both tanks again.
You must be registered for see images attach

Think I found the problem though. Lol
The thicker ones are in the tank ends. Goes brown, little metal washer, blue, washer. Probably won't be able to get them back in like that. They'll just end up next to each other. Lol
That's broken one was the feed coming out of the selector valve.
I can't remember if I had tried both tanks when I first had issues.

24 hour Duty tomorrow. But I'll be off the following 2 days. So I'll try to find a hydraulic shop. Or swing by a fastenal.
I looked at the parts stores. They do have the dorman kit with the orings for the tank ends. But it's one set (2 feed, 2 return) for like $10. That's dumb.
Looked at the harbor freight sets. Wasn't too impressed. Are they even good viton? Lol

Oh yeah, I need a drop the rear tank also. I remember the last times I filled er up, she leaked a bit. Has a be coming from the vent connection or the sender oring. Pretty sure it's empty. Or close to it.
I'll have to take it out the bottom though. No way I can get the flatbed off by myself. Lol well I mean, I can pull the sender without dropping it. May just do that.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

nj_m715

government's finest
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got my kit, but we have vacation in a few days, in the mean time we're painting the living room and the summer heat is setting in. At this point there's a good chance I might not get to it until the fall. The excursion tank conversion is first on the list.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Awesome. Install doesn't take long.
But of course, honey do list takes priority. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp