Duralast clutch

03wr250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am curious how many of you have duralast clutches in your trucks and how you like them?

A while back I replaced my clutch and flywheel and went from a dmf to a smf. I used a autozone 12'' clutch kit to do it with. Everything went fine, and i have to say for being an autozone clutch it has done absolutely great and holds great to the power i have put to it. I have no complaints. But as I am preparing to pull my engine to do a reseal and stud it, it got me thinking about whether I should replace the clutch or not...you know lifetime warranty thing. Without inspecting it and finding out how it is wearing what are your guys thoughts. I am honestly wondering if I just got a fluke good clutch or if you fellas have also had good luck. I dont see a need to replace it, but lifetime warranty...
Honestly looking for opinions, I would simply hate to replace it and get stuck with something worse than before.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

That being said if you are headstudding you’re most likely going to be turning up the boost and making more powa, so you may exceed what the autozone clutch will hold

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly, it'll do just fine with a bunch of power. Even with an 11" stock dmf and 250rwhp(more than you'll make wituout an expensive aftermarker IP), it wasn't the 11" clutch slipping on me, it was the "torque limiter" clutch in the dmf itself.

(Went to a LuK 12" smf and never looked back.)

03wr250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Duralast owns luk. I read it on the internet, so I know it's true. 2

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
I saw that as well, it wasnt a reliable source and I couldnt find much else to back that statement up so I disregarded it.
Well seings how I was at 226/550 before I even disabled the waste gate, or fixed the exhaust leak I think giving it all the boost it can take I have a feeling I might be able to break 227 hp. lol
I was kind of feeling the same way, of if it aint broke dont fix it, but the whole reason for pulling the engine is preventative maintanace and I will have the clutch off to do the rear main, so there truly wont be a better time. I guess I will just have to see what it looks like when it comes apart.
and I am planning on more than 250 @Macrobb My eventual goal is 300 and 30 psi. I figure I will do the engine work first because I can bolt on a pump later.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw that as well, it wasnt a reliable source and I couldnt find much else to back that statement up so I disregarded it.
Well seings how I was at 226/550 before I even disabled the waste gate,
I still don't believe you can get 550 torque out of 226RWHP with a stock-pump IDI. Probably more like 420RWTK. Especially as you don't have any torque numbers, just HP... and no curve to calculate off of.
With a stock pump, torque peaks below peak HP, which makes it basically impossible to calculate 'peak torque' without a curve of some sort(hp vs MPH, torque, etc)

and I am planning on more than 250 @Macrobb My eventual goal is 300 and 30 psi. I figure I will do the engine work first because I can bolt on a pump later.
Justin was running 45 PSI and 450RWHP through a 12" clutch... so it's possible. I recall him having trouble doing a clutch dump at that high power, but once it locked, it's fine.

In your case, well, you're going to be upgrading the turbo before you get there. That and the pump. And studs(didn't see them in your sig) at least.

03wr250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am currently gathering parts to go together. I am going to do head studs head gaskets, oil cooler, rear main, r&d cam, water pump, and stage 2 drop in turbo. Hence why the question about the duralast clutch. I just havent pulled the engine yet as i am still waiting on parts.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really check the valve recession numbers when you have it apart, that and the piston protrusion(how far it comes out of the block at TDC). Don't want to end up like my '88...

Koch13351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From my experience, I’d avoid going with a duralast clutch. I grenaded the hub on the disc on the one that was (installed by a previous owner) in my truck. It happened coming out of a hairpin turn going up a mountain road, in second gear at maybe 20 mph. Unloaded.
Comparing the old and new discs side by side it made me wonder how it even lived as long as it did. New clutch is a Luk 12”. The hub components are at least twice as thick, and the springs are much beefier. The difference in performance is night and day as well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker