Dual fuel gauges?

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey gents I searched but havent found anything... So I'm thinking when I finally save up enough money to make my custom gauge cluster that it would be kinda nifty for each tank to have its own fuel level gauge... Does anyone know how I would go about wiring this in while retaining the stock tanks, sender units, selector switch, etc...? Thanks!

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will have to go down to the frame mounted valve and intercept the wires there, and then extend them up to your new cluster. If you wanted to re-use your original wire, you could tie that to one of the senders permanently, and then have to run only one wire up to the new cluster.

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will have to go down to the frame mounted valve and intercept the wires there, and then extend them up to your new cluster. If you wanted to re-use your original wire, you could tie that to one of the senders permanently, and then have to run only one wire up to the new cluster.
I probably would retain the orginal wires, since they're newer (compared to the ready of the truck) and work fine. So I just find the valve, cut on the fuel tank side, and run those two separate wires to the gauges?

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
I haven't been able to find aftermarket gauges that work with the resistance and range our senders put out.

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya im running into this issue too... Do you know of a way to either change out our senders or change their resistance?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I haven't been able to find aftermarket gauges that work with the resistance and range our senders put out.
But since you don't have to match it to the stock gauge, it doesn't matter.
Use a universal setup and match the gauge to it.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But since you don't have to match it to the stock gauge, it doesn't matter.
Use a universal setup and match the gauge to it.

Sorry for the rookie question but I'm not too experienced with this........ What do you mean by that? Are you saying I could just get a gauge that says "universal" and adjust something?????

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
You would get a new sender that runs a different resistance. (Not what the stock runs)
Then match the new gauge to the new sender.

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You would get a new sender that runs a different resistance. (Not what the stock runs)
Then match the new gauge to the new sender.

Oh I misunderstood your previous post. I was not aware their were other senders that would fit our tanks.

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hahaha and their lies the problem... You said it wouldnt take much skill... How about NO skill?????

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh well seeing as how thats pretty much what i do for a living... guess i could manage that.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most aftermarket systems are 33-240 ohm; gauges and sensors are easy to find. Isspro I know has them.

I took the stock sensor apart and used the stock float and arm connected to a universal sensor bolted to the backing plate for the stock sensor. Somewhat of a bodged setup, but cheap and easy and it works decently. Hard part is putting it in the right spot so it reads right. My fwd tank is off some and reads ~1/4 when it's empty. Still better than nothing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online