Dual tanks 2nd gen 12v

FarmerBoyFPV

Reaction score
I like the dual tanks in my obs fords. I also spotted a 42gal bronco tan scratch and dent on Amazon and replaced the rear tank in my powerstroke with it.
Now a buddy of mine was cleaning out his grage and offered me a good condition 98 chevy surburban 40 gallon tank. I want to run black diesel on my 12v long trips but haven't got a sip tank yet. I just dropped the spare, unbolted the wrench and stuffed the burban tank up there. Overall I'm happy with the fit. There is two low spots in the rear of the tire bracket to hold the tire in place. Im not sure if I should A. Cut some wood blocks to lower the tank slightly. Or B. Hammer in a couple of groves in the tank to hold it securely.

As far and securing the tank im thinking a couple of custom length ratchet straps.

As far as the supply and return im thinking a aluminum sump like I did on the powerstroke. The drain plug is nice if your unsure of the quality of fuel and want to fuge it again.

The tank had no sending unit but as most are based off of resistance, I can either find a surburban one. I might try a spare ford one, or maybe even hack in a dodge one and put a tank switch on the dash .

I don't know if anyone's tried it but a clean dual tank setup appeals to me even if I need to pack a spare in the bed or fab a bracket for it elsewhere.

Thoughts ideas opinions.

Attachments

• 20220911_172230.jpg
    20220911_172230.jpg
    341.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220911_172224.jpg
    20220911_172224.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 5

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't testify to mounting anything under a Dodge, I'm a Ford guy. But I'd do the wood blocks if you start trying to dent metal you might over do it and have to spend money and I'm not for spending money, it's too hard to come by. I put a bronco tank under my 86 dually as a WMO tank and I shimed it down with 2x4s and it's held up with the spare tire bracket.
The rachet straps will be fine for a bit, in my opinion, at least until you're happy with your set up. But as soon as you like it make something solid.
I just started a thread about my tow truck called "Jesus Freaks WMO tow truck" and the first post discribes my 2 tank fuel to engine set up. The returns go to the WMO tank and I have an untainted diesel tank.

And studying your pictures, I wonder if a Ford spare tire bracket would work for you.

kbenz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't testify to mounting anything under a Dodge, I'm a Ford guy. But I'd do the wood blocks if you start trying to dent metal you might over do it and have to spend money and I'm not for spending money, it's too hard to come by. I put a bronco tank under my 86 dually as a WMO tank and I shimed it down with 2x4s and it's held up with the spare tire bracket.
The rachet straps will be fine for a bit, in my opinion, at least until you're happy with your set up. But as soon as you like it make something solid.
I just started a thread about my tow truck called "Jesus Freaks WMO tow truck" and the first post discribes my 2 tank fuel to engine set up. The returns go to the WMO tank and I have an untainted diesel tank.

And studying your pictures, I wonder if a Ford spare tire bracket would work for you.
I had both my returns plumbed to my umo tank. Til realized how much went back there. I could almost watch the fuel gage move when on diesel. My diesel tank is not to clean for sure either

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It
I had both my returns plumbed to my umo tank. Til realized how much went back there. I could almost watch the fuel gage move when on diesel. My diesel tank is not to clean for sure either
It does go fast but with my manual valve I only switch for a less than a minute to get diesel in the system and switch back to oil before I shut down. Theoretically I should have the oil thinned in the IP and filter for cranking up.