Dual Flowmasters on an IDI?

Camarogenius

Reaction score
How will they sound? If they don't sound so good, gimmie some alternatives.
I want the engine to sound good in the tremor, but not too obnoxious, like strait pipes.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I run a stainless Flowmaster on the Lady Moose. I like the way it sounds a lot.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Just get an Original Cherrybomb, or if you want big diameter, a Dynomax. They sound great. Chambered mufflers suck. The straight thru designs sound better in IMO.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Agnem said:
I run a stainless Flowmaster on the Lady Moose. I like the way it sounds a lot.

Gotta go with Mel here, I love em. Never had them on anything that I didn't like the tone.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i cant stand flowmasters because of the mustangs :puke: but a friend has duals with them on his towtruck with an idi.sounds like a big block chevy till it pulsup next to you and you hear the diesel rattle ;Sweet

scheid6996

scheid6996
Reaction score
my old 89 idi sounded like that, but it had a glass pack, everyone said it sounded like a burly big block

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
There's nothing like going thru a tunnel with a straight thru glasspack type muffler.

If your going duals, just get a set of 2" cherry bombs. They sound great, and are very cost effective

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
f-two-fiddy said:
There's nothing like going thru a tunnel with a straight thru glasspack type muffler.

If your going duals, just get a set of 2" cherry bombs. They sound great, and are very cost effective

Sounded like crap on my truck, cackle, cackle, cackle. I would go with no mufflers before going glass packs.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's what I'm running on the MooseStang right now and the cherry bombs sound pretty good. Of course, the exhaust system is a little weird. :rolleyes: :D

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
sle2115 said:
Sounded like crap on my truck, cackle, cackle, cackle. I would go with no mufflers before going glass packs.

Didja have cheapies? The original Cherrybomb on my 85 sounded GREAT! No cackle what so ever.

CaseyJones

Reaction score
I have been running a Banks Moster exhaust muffler (and whole system) 3"inlet and 3.5" outlet w/my turbo 7.3, between the turbo AND the muffler its to quiet. I have no exhaust note at all.

This Banks muffler might work really nicely w/a NA mill. Im going to pull it off and run straight 3.5" from the downpipe on back so this muffler & 3" pipe will be up for grabs to any fellow listers interested.

I think the turbo is enough muffler for me, there is no smog or emmissions testing in these parts so I can enjoy some sweet sweet noise on the open road!

Tony

Cowboy_Customs

Rhinestone Cowboy
Reaction score
in regards to obnoxiuosly loud straight pipe, I dont have a clue what ya'll are talking about! I run 2.5 straight pipe out the stock location. The only time I dont like it is above 2 grand when Im trying to be quiet (like when the E4OD is cold n I gotta pull the hill @ 30 MPH leavin my house)
Maybe its just because of the kinked type turns going over the axle. But IMHO, I ran a 40 series when I got the truck, but the difference tween that Flowmaster, n straight pipe was nothing at all! It dumped out under the bed and both ways made the exact same sound, and resonence in the cab was ungodly!
The chery bomb deal sounds like a straight piped 454 on steroids! oh and in regards to pipe size, try not to go under 2.5 inch, it is a big block engine, 2.5 inch is choking enough, but even dual 2's are wayyyy to small! If someone has the exhaust port CFM's I could tell ya the optimum pipe size, I have yet to find em to experiment with noise levels.
just my $.02

:draw

jauguston

Retired
Reaction score
I put dual 3" on my MH that exited behind the duals. I started with dual 3" 50 series Flowmasters. It was so loud I could not in good conscious take it on a public highway. It was terrlble! I ended up putting 3" by 36" round truck type mufflers from NAPA behind the Flowmasters. That was fine. When I installed the Hypemax turbo I removed the Flowmasters and left the truck type on. That is fine.

Dual exhaust is much loud than single because each pipe has exhaust pulses twice as far apart. It comes out Bang---Bang---Bang instead of Purrrrrrrr (-:

Jim