Drilling for a pyro

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
I got a pyro today for x-mas.:D:D

what do you guys with turbo's do to minimize the chips from drilling the manifold from getting to the turbo?

any type of grease on the drill bit? then again on the tap?

thanks

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
LOTTTTSSSS of very tacky wheel bearing grease. If you are installing after the turbo then just drill away and forget about it. If drilling/taping in the manifold then i personally pull it apart. I cant sleep with my self wondering what went through my turbo on startup. But if you are going to attempt it assembled go VERY VERY VERY SLOW. SHOULD pull all the chips up and out. most if not all pyros are 1/8 npt

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
i will be drilling the manifold with it still on the engine.

i am going to drill on the driverside manifold. i did not plan on unbolting the crossover pipe, but i might since it appears to be leaking some.

i had planned on drilling from the bottom of the manifold. would that be a little safer?

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
its really up to you.. If something is leaking and will need to be dissembled then i would take that opportunity to kill 2 birds with one stone. If you decide to drill before than i would imagine drilling from the bottom would be a little better than top. Simple gravity will play its part. Again either way SLOW and lots of grease. May people on this board have done it that way with no negative effects.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Drill it while the engine is running. On the BOTTOM of the manifold. It will blow the shavings out. Also tap the manifold while it is running. DO NOT run the tap too deep.

NO GREASE. all that will do is block the exit of metal shavings like the drill bit was designed to do

Last edited:

turbodiesel94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree on not using grease, but I would not drill it while it is running. If somehow a chip got into the manifold-which it could happen running- then its going straight for your turbo. Drill it engine off, use a strong magnet to pull any possible chips out and clean it again with a vacuum cleaner with a straw in the hole.

Also start with a small pilot hole and work your way up.

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
I'll second pulling the crossover pipe. Drill and tap, then start 'er up to blow it clean. Then you can fix your leak when you put it together.

I didnt bother with any of this as i was still n/a when i installed my pyro. :D

eatont9999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would go with pulling the crossover pipe before drilling and starting the engine afterward to blow the debris out. It's a lot easier than possibly having to rebuild the turbo and you have a leak to deal with anyway.

cowman79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drilled mine with the engine off and a shop vac next to the drill bit while I was drilling and tapping the hole. Than I held the shop vac over the whole for about 20 seconds before I installed the pyro probe and fitting.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
drill it from the top, while running, with a shop vac sucking, works great.

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
what do you guys with turbo's do to minimize the chips from drilling the manifold from getting to the turbo?

any type of grease on the drill bit? then again on the tap?

thanks

These type of personal opinion questions tend to get mixed responses...

You have been told several ways to do it and none seem dangerous enough to warn you against. If you do use grease only use it right before you break through.

Although I didn't do it his way when I did mine, I like the typ4 method.

Good luck

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigal093

Members online