Downpipe out..now gotta make or buy?

Halltrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the stock downpipe..came out pretty easy. The stupid heat shield was the worst part. Now, I have to decide on just buying a banks downpipe or make one out of 3" pipe. Seems as if im going through the trouble, I might as well make a 3" downpipe and get a little bigger size over the banks 2.5" one.

For those that made there own...did you weld on a tab to match the stock tab? Also did you wrap the downpipe in the stock heat shield or use something else?

Halltrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I talk to Banks and looks like they arent running off any downpipes until 4/22. So, I bought a psd mbrp downpipe and will do what Mr.Diesel did. I should have the downpipe tonight.

romulus

Reaction score
if i had it to do over again i would make a 3 incher. i have a banks DP in my garage awaiting install so i'm going to use it. i just bought it about a month ago.

somebody here mod'd a powerstroke DP, looks like a better option if you can keep it clear of the firewall when the engine is loaded. i have a mig welder, and am always looking for a new excuse to use it.

his mod had a short reducer where it attaches to the turbine outlet. the length of the reducer was so short (2") its doubtful it would have any noticeable resistance.

Halltrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeap

Yea, im following that psd dp build. He just cut the stock vband part off and welded it to the psd one.

Halltrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh crap, dont order the mbrp version. It is a little different then the one mr. diesel has. I dont think the mbrp one will work. I will look better tomorrow. May have to order the one from ebay...littlepowershop....at least he is just up in PA.

Halltrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
downpipe mbrp

Well, I got the mbrp downpipe to work. Im guessing the one mr.diesel used would have been easier...I had to use the mbrp in reverse so to speak. I didnt get the flange welded on in a way that would have made the pipe go past the fire wall in the "sweet spot" So I had to do some extra work on the firewall. Basically had to cut it out and then I fabricated some sheet metal to cover the hole I made.

Just from driving around I think I reduced egts another 100f. I picked up between 200-300f already from the hypermax cowl and another 100f from the downpipe. Yeap, im happy. I have another wheeling trip coming up so before I turn up the fuel or adjust the wastgate anymore, Ill see how she does pulling.

Here are some pics, if anyone cares:

You must be registered for see images attach

Cutoff some ends and welded the stock 2.25 vband flange on...

Finished product:

I had to cut out the firewall because I couldnt beat the firewall far enough back:

Patched it up with some sheet metal. Not the prettiest welds..but it was tight and the metal was thin it was late and I was on my 8th beer. :)

romulus

Reaction score
wow nice.

i hope i don't have to mod my firewall that much when i put my banks DP in.

Halltrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no way

I seriously doubt you will need to do anything like that. Im sure it is designed to align better. Plus the od will be less. Im guessing all you need to do is use a sawzall to cut slits in the the firewall lip and bend them back. The biggest pain will be the heat sheild and working the vband. Basically have to lay across the engine and do a reach around. LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance