Does PSD get better mpg

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
i also have to agree with ramp

at 15K 3.73 should do the job on a rare occasion, they work fine in my truck, and i have hooked her up to some pretty heavy junk, sounds like your burnin up fuel just spinning the engine

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rampy's right to a degree, but start running 3 or4 diesels and paying 2.50/gallon. When your fuel credit card statement hits $700-800 bucks per month, paying $1.90/gallon for regular gas looks more attractive. Not to mention that a V-10 costs $4,000 less to buy.

Combine that with the less than stellar 6L Ford diesel, and it's not hard to see why I don't hate gas motors like I did when diesel was $1.39/gallon and regular gas was $1.79/gallon.

I guess hearing that the V-10 doesn't get 12+ MPG too easily makes me feel a little better.

Last edited:

DirtFarmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pacific said:
If I go with a F-350 it will have 4:10s most likely I don't know if I will stick with the F-Superduty trucks I rarely gross the truck to 15,000lbs anymore. The heaviest thing on the truck is my 40lb tool box along with a broom and the odd tools I pack to the different jobs.

The only thing is I need a truck with a truck with a 8x11 flatdeck just for the deck area.

When my truck can reach 100km/h (62mph) the engine revs about 2800 rpm. For my daily driving I try to use OD as much as possible I'am always trying to keep the rpms below 2500. I shoot for just above 2000.

One thing about the 5:13s is I can use OD quite a bit with a empty truck. When it comes to the hills I always try take a run at them so I don't need to drop to 4th and constantly working the rpms in OD.

When the truck is loaded its a real snail on the road and the truck gets about 9mpg the lowest it dropped is 8mpg.

My truck is pretty close to what you describe. When hauling a big load of hay, feed, etc on the flatbed, the mpg drops some, but not as much as pulling the same load on a trailer. Maybe 11/12 around town and 14/15 on highway. 18/20 on highway running empty. My flatbed is 8x10 but it is not a dump bed.

added in edit: My 350 is running 3.73's.

Mark

ps: Are you "Kenworth" from TDS? If so, it's been a while. Hope you are doing well.

Last edited:

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
Yes I'am Kenworth but I changed I'am not into starting battles anymore why bother LOL

I'am doing fine I'am back to working as a heavy duty mechanic its okay I guess.

One thing about the job I have is I only burn 20 dollars of fuel a week :D

I have a company truck and my truck sits in the contractors yard all day so its pretty good especially with diesel fuel at a dollar litre.

I still looking for a F-350 4x4 not in a big rush my current truck doesn't run long enough for something to break down on it ;Sweet

As I already meantioned before I can't give up having a 1 ton dually truck, 1 they handle the twisty roads here like a sports car, 2 having a truck with a 8' wide flatdeck is nice because I can haul what ever I need, 3 having a 1 ton flatdeck I can always make extra cash on the side trucking.

I really would like to have a 4x4 now as I'am back into the excavation business with the contractor I'am working for I'am on tougher conditions where 2wd shouldn't go. The other thing is I don't haul heavy loads anymore like I was doing general contracting so a 1 ton will easily do what I need.

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get 13 pulling 10,000 pounds at 70 mph with my IDI. 18 on the interstate at 75mph, unloaded.

I don't think a PSD with similar gearing and weight would do any better... certainly not the 6.0 from what I've seen.

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
My brother did a haul job with a F-450 with a 6.0 the other day he had 3 1/4 tons one way and about 2 tons back home I don't know the total kilometerage but it did cost him 65 dollars in fuel. The truck did burn alot more than the owner he borrowed the truck from thought.

The new 6.0s are kinda piggy but like my brother said even with 3 1/4 ton on the truck there was no lack of power.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
my psd gets 10-12 mpg towing and the best I've ever got was 14mpg thats empty :puke: my IDI gets 12-14 towing and 16-18 empty ;Sweet and it has more power on top of it :draw

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online