Does PSD get better mpg

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
Hi guys I'am from the IDI room here to ask questions LOL

With the price of diesel climbing higher does a PSD get better fuel mileage ?

My current F-Superduty with IDI N/A power gets 12mpg max not too good when fuel here is a dollar per litre or 3.70 for a US gallon of fuel CND funds.

I don't know if F-Superduty (450) trucks will ever get good fuel mileage with 5:13 axle gears.

I'am really considering going back to a gasser if the price of diesel fuel doesn't go back down. If a PSD gets on average better mpg than a IDI it might be worth it.

Right now the price of regular gas is 89.9 cents a litre or 3.33 per US gallon CND funds.

You also have to keep in mind the purchase price of a used PSD with the same kilometerage as a truck with a 460 gas will be atleast 2-3 grand more.

Any ideas

Roland_Jenkins

Señor Member
Reaction score
I get 21+ out of my 01 extra cab 4x4 six speed. No city stop and go grid lock driving involved. Either hwy miles or short 6 to 12 mile one way trips to town.
I also get called a liar for making that claim but it doesn't seem to affect my fuel mileage any.

My last truck was a regular cab six speed y2k and it got 20 MPG but just barley.

My 97 had 4:10's and a five speed. It got 19+ Neighbor now has it and he claims 21 MPG

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
My '97 w/ an auto tranny and a 4.10 rear gets 18+ highway and between 15-17 city.

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
with 5.13's if there is any way you could get by with something a little lower i would say you would be way better off... if you wanted to keep your truck

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get 11-12 with my F-450 with 4x4, 4.30's and a heavy foot, and the aerodynamics of a brick.

Unless the next diesel that Ford offers is a huge breakthrough in reliability, power & fuel economy, I may go V-10 on my next pick-up. Diesel is $2.36/gallon here and climbing, regular fuel is ~$1.90

Last edited:

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
i loved my V10 but it killed me in fuel... i was extremely happy when it got into double digits in fuel economy (vary rarely happend) most of the time i got about 8-9 unloaded and even as low as 6.5 with a trailer, it held 44 gal. of fuel and i rarely made it to 300+ miles on a tank... oh did i mention it had 3.73 gears ... she was all kinds of stout but man it was a thirsty beast @ 97MPH when the puter shut her down the go pedal was only about 1/3 of the way down.... that being said you can put about $2500 in a V10 and get about 450-475 very reliable horses (supercharger), i might get me another one one day when i'm not running as much

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
I know the V-10s are healthy on the fuel one of the local logging contractors has a 550 4x4 service truck that sees 8 mpg on a good day.

The trucks I will be looking at will still have the tried and true 460 gas if I go that route.

I'am not in a hurry my old IDI keeps running plus the fact in 10 days I will know what my work situation will be. If I go back to one of my jobs I worked all summer I maybe looking for a pizz pot car.

I'am looking for a F-350 4x4 cab and chassis still I will make it into a work/service truck it won't be making me a living.

I would be happy if I got 14-15 unloaded truck atleast it won't cost me a fortune in fuel.

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
460's are hard to beat i have about 4 spares for my toys (couple of old trucks and a 78 bronco) one of mine makes better than 500 hp (going in bronco when i get time to put it back together) if you can afford to feed them they are one solid motor

but still if i was you i would look into gears... how many revs is that thing turning at 60mph?? with 5.13's it has to be wound up pretty good.. if you getting 12mpg now (if its possible i don't know what your pulling) i would bet money that if you dropped in some 4.10's you would be in the 14-15 range easy... might have to pay a few speeding tickets though she will probably run a heck of a lot quicker to

Swany

Consiglieri
Reaction score
Once I hit somewheres around 80k, the mileage actually started getting better! That's no bs too.

Bean

Reaction score
I average about 13mpg out of my c&c with 4:10's, I think I could get it to 15 if I went to 3:55's. No amount of mods has ever changed my mpg, unless I romped on it all teh time then I could make it get down to 11.

Ramprat

Inside your OODA
Reaction score
Don't mean to be an idjit here, but who worry about fuel mileage?????

Nothings wrong about watching/tracking playing around to see what you're MPG is, but really now it is either a 3/4 or 1 ton truck & no ammount of tweaking is going to do much to improve any big trucks MPG.

Sure the price of fuel is expensive and a pain in the backside, but we drive trucks, not kia SUV's.

If MPG is so important why not do the math & figgure out what you would save by buying a smaller car, just don't forget to factor in the cost of the new car over a paid for truck.

We just made a 666.5 mile trip & bucking a headwind got no better than 8-10 mpg going 65mph. Then on the way home with a tail wind running 85mph we got almost 21mpg.

I purchased a motorcycle to get better MPG, but once you factor in the cost of the bike and insurance I'd have been better off driving the truck and investing the motorcycle payment;p

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
If I go with a F-350 it will have 4:10s most likely I don't know if I will stick with the F-Superduty trucks I rarely gross the truck to 15,000lbs anymore. The heaviest thing on the truck is my 40lb tool box along with a broom and the odd tools I pack to the different jobs.

The only thing is I need a truck with a truck with a 8x11 flatdeck just for the deck area.

When my truck can reach 100km/h (62mph) the engine revs about 2800 rpm. For my daily driving I try to use OD as much as possible I'am always trying to keep the rpms below 2500. I shoot for just above 2000.

One thing about the 5:13s is I can use OD quite a bit with a empty truck. When it comes to the hills I always try take a run at them so I don't need to drop to 4th and constantly working the rpms in OD.

When the truck is loaded its a real snail on the road and the truck gets about 9mpg the lowest it dropped is 8mpg.