7.3 IDI getting fuel to injectors, still not starting

MountainMan300

Reaction score
My 1992 F-350 with a 7.3 IDI shut off on me while driving. I coasted to a stop, got towed home, and started diagnosing. Here is where I'm at:

- Truck has a new fuel filter on it and it is primed
- I am not getting air out of the schrader valve on the fuel filter housing
- I cracked the injector lines at the injection pump, and I am getting fuel
- I cracked all 8 injector lines at the injector lines and am getting fuel
- The glow plug system is brand new on the truck and works great. The truck just constantly cranks and will not start

What could my issue be based on these factors? If it was the fuel shutoff solenoid, wouldn't it stop me from getting fuel to the injectors?

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know, but I'd check and see if the solenoid is clicking at least. Turn the key on and unplug it and plug it back in. Just because it's clicking doesn't nessicerilly mean it's good, but it's a pretty good sign.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are getting stinky white smoke out of the exhaust as you crank it, that is another sign you are getting fuel.

If you are getting white smoke out of the exhaust, and you can turn off the glowplugs, give it a shot of ether and see if it fires off. If it does you are not getting enough heat in the combustion chambers. This can be caused by;

glowplugs not working correctly

Cranking speed too slow

low compression.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are getting stinky white smoke out of the exhaust as you crank it, that is another sign you are getting fuel.

If you are getting white smoke out of the exhaust, and you can turn off the glowplugs, give it a shot of ether and see if it fires off. If it does you are not getting enough heat in the combustion chambers. This can be caused by;

glowplugs not working correctly

Cranking speed too slow

low compression.
True, but the truck just died going down the road.

NeverHave-I-Ether

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably ran out of fuel without realizing it. Check the fuel pick up in the tank. I installed a sump on my tank as I got tired of running out of fuel on quarter tanks.

As for not being able to start, probably worth getting a new starter. Especially with this cold weather.

Glow plugs - Make sure your grounds are good, I had thought mine were working bc of the WTS light but I had a bad ground so they weren't getting as much power as they should have.

Never-Have-I-Ether

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp

Members online