Do People Buy 7.3 IDI Engines?

shm21284

Reaction score
Hello all, first time poster, long time lurker.

I'm starting a 12V 6BT swap in my OBS F350 (which I will detail on this forum), and swapping out the 7.3 IDI. The question is, is it worth trying to sell this thing? Or should I just scrap it? The truck only has 165,000 miles on it, which seems a lot lower than many of the trucks out there.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Take a video of it running before you take it out. It will help the sale. Pricing depends on the area.

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
People buy them because they are a fairly rely able diesel engine that is simple to work on and does not cost an arm and leg to buy parts for. I would not scrap it, If it still starts and runs good sell it. As much as a Cummins cost to put in I would stay with the IDI IMO.

KYSlowhand

Reaction score
Hello all, first time poster, long time lurker.

I'm starting a 12V 6BT swap in my OBS F350 (which I will detail on this forum), and swapping out the 7.3 IDI. The question is, is it worth trying to sell this thing? Or should I just scrap it? The truck only has 165,000 miles on it, which seems a lot lower than many of the trucks out there.

People buy them because they are a fairly rely able diesel engine that is simple to work on and does not cost an arm and leg to buy parts for. I would not scrap it, If it still starts and runs good sell it. As much as a Cummins cost to put in I would stay with the IDI IMO.

Take a video of it running before you take it out. It will help the sale. Pricing depends on the area.

hey shm21284 you've found a good place to get INFO also Opinions. I'm new to owning an IDI 7.3 IH> OilBurner and love the motor. My main use has been hauling rock, leaving the quarry by the KY. river is every way uphill and was totally impressed by the Pulling power. I agree with all opinions expressed, and think someone will be glad to make use of a well built motor if only for core charges.

Guess the point is enjoy you vehicle, if i need mine to go faster I'll try a two speed gearbox.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm also far away from you, but I'll always buy a running 6.9/7.3 for $200 range.

Gr8ful

Reaction score
I have a '93 7.3 IDI & the last month they made the Cummings 12 valve 5.9 both low miles, both in one tons & I like them both. If you want the Dana HD 4WD drive train & the IDI runs good & is in good shape I'd trade It's all there but the engine. Both axles are 3.55s

Chemgrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are they seriously only worth a couple hundred dollars? Guess I will be keeping mine and find a truck for it, if that's the case, because I paid 500 for the engine and tranny and I'm allergic to losing money :puke:

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are they seriously only worth a couple hundred dollars? Guess I will be keeping mine and find a truck for it, if that's the case, because I paid 500 for the engine and tranny and I'm allergic to losing money :puke:
They are worth what people believe them to be worth. They go for all kinds of money - from wrecking yards that seem to think them worth 1K, one wrecking yard near me wants ~400 for one in working condition, and I've picked up many in the 175-225 range. I also got two 6.9s for $100 each.

Trannys(5-speeds) are similar - one wrecking yard near me has any they can get their hands on pre-sold for $500. I've then found one ~30 miles away at another wrecking yard for $175 and got that.. I've gotten one with the gear shift piece missing for $100.

When you get this old and prices get this low, the 'value' isn't constant - it's what someone is willing to pay. Have a truck you are DDing and need an engine? $600 for a drop-in replacement doesn't sound bad.
Have a stash of motors and just getting another on-spec, and the JY hasn't sold any in a year? $100-200.

Chemgrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Thanks for the follow up Macrobb. I bought the engine and transmission out of a 2 ton planning on using it for a custom build and then we had twins so we needed a vehicle that could carry 4 comfortably sooner rather than later. My Dads been looking for a 1-2 ton truck so if it doesn't sell I'll donate it to him. I need to get my 94 IDIT running and sold as well. We picked up an IH TD-6 so going to keep playing with IH diesels just 6's instead of 8's.

shm21284

Reaction score
Thanks all, great info here. Seems there is a little discussion on the worth of these engines.

I followed the advice of you guys and video'd me cold starting and driving the engine. Only has 165,000 miles on it, runs strong, so I would expect this engine to pull closer to the high end of prices you guys were stating.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't scrap it. Sell it either running or part it out. They don't make new ones,nobody offers aftermarket parts to speak of either.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance