DMF to SMF. Time to do the Lucky Mod

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
Never a good time for these projects as much as I need to be doing....City starting a new street project Nov1 & if I want my "stuff", I got about 3 days of junk & treasure moving as well as about 3/4 day's Dozer work moving my hi dollar fill & gravel that I spread for my own "private" street few years back....darn if I'm gonna let'em have it!!!
But curiousity gets the best of me...I gotta do the LuckyMod somehow just to see if I can!! Too many folks round here saying "it can't be done".

Well my clutch slipped the other day, slipped again 3 times yesterday & last nite....so time is drawing near.:confused: I'm between shops & don't have one so I think I'll set up shop at my friends shop. I have good tools & equiptment to do the job....BIG old timey 6' precision drillpress, etc, so I feel confident in this area.
Yesterday, at the machine shop, (this is the only guy that's got an open mind) if he looked it up correctly, the original DMF was/is 1.410", will find out for sure farther along, anybody here at OB know? I been fretting before, but we also talked about not shimming the DMF back to original thickness after resurfacing??? Still not sure on this one. He & I discussed about the hyd clutch compensating for this.

Mel, or somebody, I see you've done the L/Mod...remember what dampened/sprung clutch you went with? I saw where you went back with a 11"
I also been running 50/50 overfilled w/ PowerPunch & 50wt for about 3 yr. Shifts stiff for couple miles till warm in winter, but lots smoother & quieter.
I don't know if I can find a sprung/damper clutch kit for my DMF/SMF conversion round here.....all the parts stores & most machine shops here in C.Oregon nearly go stupid on me & say it can't be done, no way, nothing available!
Anybody know someone I can call? I called Luk 800# yesterday & was never able to get thru to the guy what I was trying....he kept telling me what conversion kit they had, over & over.
Local Ford parts guy priced a DMF $1050 (& he's supportive & helpful on this project, knows me enough to know if I decide to try something "I'll go for it" &not be Bit**y & whine).
Several NAPA stores in Redmond & Bend priced their complete 12"conversion Kits $496 made by "Perfection/Zoom"....pricewise it's tempting. Others round here handling Luk are about $700+
When I do this project I'll do some pic too, already got some on my other mods.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My sprung clutch disc was from the Ford dealer. The clutch had recently been serviced by the dealer who sold it to me, and when I got in there, I could see that the presure plate and disc were new. The parts were Motorcraft but I remember seeing the name of a rebuilder on them. The name I can't recal, but could swear it started with the letter L. I can't see how those springs really do much anyway.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
The kit I used for the DMF conversion was a LUK replacement kit for the 7.3.
I got it a Pep Boys and was right aroung $200.00 IIRC.

I don't have the info on it anymore but am thinking it was something along the line of LU-0195?
It had the spring "loaded" clutch disc.;Sweet

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TTman, you're going about it wrong. Call Luk, and tell them that you have their SMF installed in your truck. And the clutch disk is worn out and you need a part number for a new one.