dismal fuel milage even cruising on highway

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
thanks Russ.

i have 2 local options for fuel. Chardon Oil sells LSD, the 500 ppm stuff. this is what i use most of the time.

GetGo sells the USLD. i only use this when i can utilize Fuel Perks, for those who dont know for each $50 you spend at Giant Eagle you get $.20 off per gallon up to 30 gallons. so i let my tank get low when i have fuel perks saved up.

regardless, i have been getting basically the same milage on both fuels. i have been toying with getting Biodiesel delivered to my house, i have a tank on a stand that i need to recondition that i would use. maybe i'll find that Bio station next time i'm in the city.

justblowin'smoke

Reaction score
if i can keep my foot out of it with the low sulfer fuel i get 18-19 empty doing 60-65. the 500 mile trip i took back in sept. i got 16 doing 75-80 and 200 miles was pullin a very well built 14,000lb trailer empty it weighed some where around 3000lbs im guessin and that was without functional cruise control

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
i just performed a 2 step engine revitalization with a product by Mighty auto parts given to me by Nick (double s diesel). i was going to straight pipe the truck first but after looking at it it's not a simple task like it was on my '86 because the pipes dont line up the same way. so i decided to try this potion with my stock exhaust with muffler and convertor. i sprayed the stuff into the intake and put the other stuff in the fuel tank. we'll see what happens.

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
My Early 99 CC SWB LB Automatichad a 6.5" lift, 37" tires, 3.73ls.... and I consistently got 12-13 in town and 15-16 on the highway.

The only time I saw a big difference in fuel mileage was when I would run the chip on the #4 setting which was programmed for 120hp.... You couldn't touch the go pedal without a black cloud belching from the tail pipe.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
Rob
awaiting results.
Ill take a looksy and see if I have a factory cat delete,
I know I have a tail pipe already welded with a straight pipe.
Nick

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rob, dumb idea, but maybe something worth a try. Find a hill on a quiet road, and stop at a marker. Put the truck in neutral and let it roll until it comes to a stop. Now do that with your IDI. Which one rolls farther? Just curious if rolling resistance, tires or some weird thing could be factored in this way. I know I've been getting 2MPG less since they switched to ULSD.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
Mel that's a very good idea. I'll try it and post the results next time i have my IDI out.

Nick i haven't done the math yet but i'm almost sown to "E" with the tank i have the additive in. trip meter says 388 or thereabouts. i do think ULSD is part of the problem.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
12.9 mpg:puke:

i fueled up and added a dose of Power Service grey bottle. it's tough to get excited about this PSD unless i can figure out how to get decent milage out of it. i hate to keep throwing all my money at this truck.

Nick i dont have the money right now for a 4" exhaust but let me know what you want for your straight pipe setup. i think my exhaust system may be the problem. if that aint it i may rethink this whole thing.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rob, I had a local exhaust shop just chop the muffler off of mine and weld in a piece of 3-1/2" straight pipe $70.

Not sure if you'll even have a Cat on the '99 superduty, my 2000 didn't.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the ULSD is evil, i have heard significant miledge losses from a few diesel customers, some not so much as others, but for a little bit people where definitly complaining about it, but your miledge is really low, are you 100% sure nothing is the matter with the truck?

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
i'm not 100% sure of anything. my best guess is that my exhaust system is plugged up. money is tight right now or i'd get the 4" system i want. i may have a straight pipe installed on the stock system but if i go to the trouble i'd rather save up and get the 4" and be done with it. after our vacation in July i plan to bust ass and make some cash.

other than that the truck runs fine. i guess i could have it checked for codes but it's running fine and no CEL so why waste the money.

a new 4" exhaust can only help it's resale value