dismal fuel milage even cruising on highway

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
took a road trip in the SD last weekend. cruising up I-90 from northeast Ohio to upstate New York i could not top 13 mpg. on the ride up i set the cruise at 70 and got 12.5 mpg. while riding around in NY state at speeds around 60-65 in hilly/mountainous terrain i got 13.1. the ride home i kept up with traffic in the fast lane and got 11.1 mpg:eek:

milage was calculated by using the trip odometer and dividing into gallons of fuel added at each fillup (topped off). truck is a stock early 99 with a DIY Napa filter intake and a stock exhaust. automatic with 3.73 gears. front hubs unlocked. 142000 miles on the truck

my first guess winter fuel or a plugged cat but are there other things like sensors that could be bad? i was getting 17 mpg on summer fuel. anyone else losing 5 mpg this winter?

Last edited:

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
winter fuel sucks, I only managed 12-13 out of my 00, and in the summer a high of 16.
I know I did get better mpg at 65 than 80.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't tell you about milage on winter fuels used up north but can tell you that winter blends used in northern states are often a blend of #1 and #2 or Kerosene and #2 diesel to get the gel point lower than what they can with additives alone.

For the quick and dirty explanation of this.......Winter blends, #1 diesel and Kerosene have lower BTU (energy) content than #2 diesel which can affect fuel mileage. The new ULSD also has a lower BTU content than the low sulfer diesel and many people are reporting lower fuel milage which could be compounding the problem.

Any number of things can affect your mileage like sensors, injectors, etc...but your right foot quite often has the most to do with it. I set my cruise at 63- 64 on the interstate and don't bother keeping up in traffic....just let everybody pass and still beat them in the end. I am getting 17 mpg highway empty on the 2000 dually.

Getting the codes read wouldn't hurt and most parts places can do a quick test to just pull any stored codes to see if anything is bad. For a more in depth computer analysis you will need to go to Ford or a shop that has the correct equipment to test the PSD or purchase the software yourself.

TBigLug

I Miss U Baby Girl
Reaction score
My buddy has a '99 F350 SRW 4x4 and he gets about 10. I've got my '86 F-350 Dually 4 sp. and get about 13. Maybe it was the year?

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
what about the ebpv? i think mine is sticky. i need to check up on how to wire it open.

what if i gut the ebpv? i live where it gets cold (single digits for weeks at a time) in the winter. will the truck run ok without the ebpv?

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what about the ebpv? i think mine is sticky. i need to check up on how to wire it open.

what if i gut the ebpv? i live where it gets cold (single digits for weeks at a time) in the winter. will the truck run ok without the ebpv?

It'll run fine without it, just takes longer to warm up. I suppose you could run a choke cable to it to operate it manually too if you just diconnected the valve.

I gutted mine and then cut the rod off of the piston in the pedestal and plugged the hole to stop all of that oil slinging mess:puke: I left the sensor plugged in so I don't throw any codes. I don't notice any difference in 30F temps here. Can't tell you anything about colder than that though.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
wont hurt without it mine dont have one , can just unplug it, as for manual operation, it is done by electronics, and I know where ya can get one.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wont hurt without it mine dont have one , can just unplug it, as for manual operation, it is done by electronics, and I know where ya can get one.

Lemme guess..........mod kit by Double S Diesel;Sweet

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
i still have to do a proper search but if somweone wants to point me to how to disconnect the ebpv i'd appreciate it.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
thanks a million for the links.

what is that linkage thing on the turbo that has a rod attached to a vacuum actuator? is this the ebpv or the wastegate? this is visible on top of the turbo

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Rob here's a couple of pics of mine.

Attachments

• EBPV wire.JPG
    EBPV wire.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0076.JPG
    IMG_0076.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 42

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what is that linkage thing on the turbo that has a rod attached to a vacuum actuator? is this the ebpv or the wastegate? this is visible on top of the turbo

You're welcome Rob...........That is the waste gate.

If you decide to plug the hole in the pedestal to stop or prevent it from leaking, don't just completely remove the valve in there or you will lose oil to lube the turbo and eventually have the turbo fail. Just cut the shaft as shown in the second link and put it back together.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive had many reports from my customers that when they used the ford cetane booster there mpg went up 2-4mpg per tank, so im guessing any cetane booster may help alot with mpg

and doesnt banks make an ebpv delete kit? or someone makes a buyable piece that bolts onto the back of a stroker turbo

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Gutting the EBPV is a fine idea, but it is not related to your mileage problem. If your EBPV goes closed while underway, you'll know it. If you are not having any other performance problems other than mileage I would look to an injector problem or EOT sensor, possibly a plugged return screen on the FPR (I think the SD's have a similar setup as the OBS?).

When was the last time a full oil/fuel/air filter change was done?